Updating linux kernel on a flash

I have an embedded Linux system on a Freescale PPC board. It is using a flash with those zones:

- U-Boot (1.1.3)

- U-Boot parameters

- Linux kernel (2.6.11)

- GNU/Linux root filesystem (JFFS2) In exploitation, I want to be able to update the software files (from an Ethernet connection). There is not problem updating part of GNU/Linux software (in the JFSS2 partition), but how can I update the Linux kernel which is on the flash?

--
Éric Lévénez --
Unix is not only an OS, it's a way of life.

Eric Levenez ha scritto:

You should investigate looking for u-boot environment current settings. Take a look at u-boot manual :

Ciao

--
Marco Cavallini
Koan s.a.s. - Bergamo - ITALIA

Le 20/05/06 18:15, dans , « Marco Cavallini » a écrit :

I know how to change U-boot setting and choose a particular Linux kernel when I am in the U-Boot command line interface. But what I don't know is how to write in flash a new kernel and how to update the U-Boot variables when I am running in the GNU/Linux environment.

--
Éric Lévénez --
Unix is not only an OS, it's a way of life.
Reply to
Eric Levenez

I have read more carefully the U-boot document, and found that I have to installed a flash device driver (/dev/mtd) in Linux to access raw flash memory. With that I should be able to put a second linux kernel in the flash. That's fine.

The second step would be to read the U-boot setup, patch the address on the new kernel, and rewrite the setup in flash.