uCLinux on Samsung S3C4510B (ARM7TDMI) based wireless router

I need to warn you all first.. I am completely, Linux ignorant (outside of being able to navigate around a bash shell a little bit)... I apologize, but I haven't had the time or the real need to wrangle with it long enough to learn it, sorry but as a small business computer consultant, the bulk of my potential clients are on Windows based systems... gotta go where the money is, but that's neither here nor there... suffice to say, I know Linux is the superior OS (never hurts to suck up to the Linux gurus hehe). anyway. I have a situation where I need the capabilities that a linux based wireless router will offer.... (ie stock firmware from Wind River Systems, Inc. sucks and won't let the router work the way I want it to work, as a bridge, router, access point and print server, all at the same time, preferably with some sort of web based configuration like it has now [gee, I don't want much, do I... but I'm certain some form of Linux is up to the task])

I've been looking at the various xAP (openap, opensta, linuxap, openap-ct and openap-ng) options as well as uCLinux.

First some background on the hardware I'm trying to configure to use embedded Linux.

I got a smoking deal ($20 each through TigerDirect as "open box") on a couple Siemens (Efficient Networks) SpeedStream 2623 802.11b DSL Routers, they work perfectly, within the limitations of the stock firmware... they'd work a heck of a lot better if I could change the firmware to one of the xAP variants. I'm using the routers to offer a simple free hotspot. I want one of the routers to have the broadband connection and serve as the DHCP server, which it does stock now, so I suppose I could leave one of them stock? The other, I want to be able to act as a bridge to the first router, and any other AP's I may add, while at the same time allowing clients. ie multi-point to multi-point.

I've done some research on this router (including cracking the case open), and they have a Samsung S3C4510X01-QER0 (ARM7TDMI based) processor and utilize a Eumitcom WL11000-1 PCMCIA card for the wireless radio. The Flash RAM in this box is an Intel Flash TE28F800-B3B90 which I believe is a 512k x 16... I 'THINK' the router will accept a new kernel from a BOOTP server

says most of their routers will, to recover from a failed flash I assume) This router is equiped with a serial port (for dial up backup it says, but I assume one could hook up a nul modem cable for a terminal connection too), a printer port (print server, which I'd like to be able to use once/if Linux is installed), and 3 wired LAN ports as well as a WAN uplink port (WAN port won't currently be used, but may be used in the future to provide greater bandwidth, needs to support PPPOE connection if it is hooked up).

Since they were so cheap, I can afford to do a little experimenting on one of the units... although I'd rather avoid toasting it, since I doubt I can get any more at that price.

Doing a little further research, I was able to find this little blurb on the uCLinux site.....

[Wiscore Inc. (Taipei, Taiwan) announced an ARM7TDMI evaluation kit that includes a uClinux operating system. Previously available exclusively in Taiwan, the "NET-Start!" kit is intended for use by system developers, instructors, and students, the company said.

According to Wiscore, the hardware/software kit features a single-board computer based on a 50 MHz Samsung S3C4510B (ARM7TDMI) system-on-chip processor, with uClinux preinstalled. Both binaries and sources for the uClinux (with uClibc) OS are included, providing the ability to easily tailor the system to fit specific requirements, Wiscore said. Other features of the hardware include 16MB SDRAM, 2MB Flash memory, 10/100 Base-T Ethernet interface (RJ-45), dual RS232 serial ports, I/O expansion interface (wich can be used to add an additional Ethernet interface daughter board), JTAG port, real time clock, watchdog timer, 7-segment display, programmable LEDs, DIP switch inputs, and push buttons. Required power and interface cables, power supply, software, and documentation are also included.]

So aparantly there is a uCLinux binaries and source available out there for the Samsung S3C4510B processor like what is in this router....And seems they make their uCLinux Kernel v2.0.38 and uClibc 0.9.5 source code available for download (which I have downloaded) don't know how significantly helpful that info is or not.

So... with all this useful or useless information.... can anybody help me with this project?

I truly know nothing from this point... I have got cygwin installed on my windows machine so I can at least play around in a linux type environment to start learning some things. I'm going to try compiling a uCLinux kernel later tonight, but again, being Linux ignorant, have no idea what I'm doing. I don't know if once I have a kernel I'm going to need some sort of boot loader for it to work on the Samsung chip or what. Linux is new territory for me... and embedded Linux even more so.

Any and all help is MOST appreciated.

Reply to
John Tetreault

Hi; I hope I won't disappoint you too much. To begin a embed project from scratch is hard. First, you need a way to put your new stuff into the board(flash ram) but how? You need a back door to allow you to do so. For eample, a JTAG connect to serial port or printer port, or a network download(TFTP). But how to switch the original system mode to download mode? It's the first issue. Maybe you will say, well how about the firmware upgrade? Most of the firmware upgrade only allow you to touch a certain data but not all. For example, I will cut my flash to three part: bootloader, kernel and system. Firmware upgrade will only replace my system but not my kernel or bootloader. Only the original developer know how to open the back door. Lucklly, if you know how, then next step... Second, you need a new boot loader to replace the original one to support linux(debug or kernel loading...) You have to write yours to support JTAG initialization or init serial or network device. Because you are dealing with an embed system no BIOS. If you want JTAG, you have to write serial port support on your bootloader or similar function code. If you want to use BOOTP(TFTP) you need to initialize your network device at boot time... If you can do those two step, then you will have the chance to think about linux or further. So, good luck!

pojen

ps. I will suggest you to begin a project on x86 system first(ex. XBOX project). Because no BIOS is really a pain.

but

my

the

sucks

with

they'd

xAP

one

Flash

512k

dial

be

it

the

features

Ethernet

LEDs,

for

they

for

that

doing.

Reply to
pojen

switch

I'm fairly certain I've got this covered... SpeedStream's knowledge base advises by pushing the reset button at a particular point during bootup, it will prompt the router to download a new kernel from a BOOTP server.

upgrade

cut

will

This could be the problem... the bootloader.... Not sure if the BOOTP process above will take in a new bootloader (so I don't have to boot with BOOTP every time) probably not is my guess... although then I'm wondering if once I have the kernel loaded once, that will give me a way to load in a new ready made (see next comment) bootloader.

I've seen linux bootloaders for this particular chip in my searches on the web, so I'm hopeful I won't have to write one (I doubt my programming skills would be up to the task)

hehe... Thanks... Unfortunately, this isn't just a "I'm bored, lets start a new project and learn how to embed linux in whatever I can find" sort of thing... This is a specific need that has prompted me to even consider this project. ie the need for the features that only a Linux based wireless router can provide.

Reply to
John Tetreault

A little more info, not sure how helpful or relevent this is.... The existing firmware is by Wind River Systems, so I'm assuming uses VxWorks.

Reply to
John Tetreault

AP,

Orinoco)

is

hard

way.

Right... The PCMCIA wireless card in this router is in fact a Prism 2, so I know if I can only get Linux into the router firmware, I can use the HostAP driver...

Reply to
John Tetreault

You do know that you need to do this under GPL and thus need to deliver any source code you write with the binary and/or the devices ?!?!

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell