Ubuntu phone has gone on general sale

-------------------------------------

Hmmmm... its all happening now.

I bought one of these phones to see what is all about. Strictly I'm not a phone enthusiast, as I only like phablets, but it was impressive.

The biggest stumbler first time was how to close apps that were open. You had to select the app and swipe upwards, which is easy enough if you knew that!

I strictly didn't like the way Ubuntu OS was trying to be a phone instead of being Linux desktop on the phone (or a phablet).

There is nothing interesting about a phone or app based computing model. The more general purpose the device is, the more interesting it will be to use it. The more phone like it behaves the less useful it becomes. Thats why some 40% of Far East users are phablet users - not phone dingleberries. The only reason why the phone model exists is because of the limited computing power in these devices when the first smart phones were being manufactured. A model which no longer is true.

You can now buy a GSM module and arduino to make a complete phone with touch graphic interface for about $40. That is what I call a restricted system. But for $70 you can buy a dual core 1.5GHz ARM CPU board, LCD adn GSM module to make a substantial phablet without need for it to look like a phone.

So the mind boggles why anyone would continue to take a strong desktop computer and cut down its UI function into a limited phone like equivalent that resembles the functionality of something made with an arduino.

It smells like smartphone revolution 2 hasn't happened yet and waiting for some Linux company to try harder.

Reply to
7