u-boot tftp problem

I am having a problem getting u-boot tftp to work. I have a Freescale M5373EVB board. I've used the Freescale-supplied dBUG bootloader to boot the board and TFTP uClinux into it. Works well and uClinux boots runs fine.

I then decided to load u-boot instead as a boot loader. That went well, except that I can't seem to get TFTP to work. I get "TX timeout"s all the time. I've verified that the TFTP server is working fine by intiating a TFTP transfer from another computer on the network. The server responded quickly and the vmlinux.bin transferred over in a flash.

I thought that it might be that the FEC is being initialized in full duplex vs. half duplex mode. I recompiled u-boot to force half duplex. No change with tftp.

All computers are connected to a switch with a router as a DHCP server. I've tried both fixed IP (both server and M5373EVB) and DHCP. The latter required recompiling u-boot to add dhcp support. It all went well, but no TFTP.

I am also running tcpdump on the server and monitoring for activity from the IP address assigned to the eval board. Nothing, it is absolutely quiet.

I've bypassed the switch and connected the eval board to the server direct with a cross-over ethernet cable too. No difference.

Thanks,

-Martin