TTF font parser on embedded Linux ? How?

Hi,

I am doing some research for a (potentional) new project we're doing :

A user can send some data to the embedded Linux pc (which we've used already in the past) and this data can be RTF (or maybe hypertext).

I want this RTF data to be parsed, and a corresponding bitmap to be created. This bitmap I will forward to our display device (led display)

Now, if you look at this the "Windows" way, you can simply copy the RTF data to some RichTextBox and it will show the desired text etc. If we then readout each pixel, we have the corresponding bitmap. (or maybe somehow get a pointer to the bitmap ram)

But is this also possible using embedded Linux? Can we do without X-Windows? (Our current target board is 486,32mb flash, 32mb ram so we don't have a lot of resources to run X-Win ...)

Maybe there are some libraries I can use to parse TTF fonts which result in some bitmap?

Thanks for any info you can provide,

Bonny

PS. If you need more info pls ask and I will try to explain more accurately ....

Reply to
Bonny Gijzen

Its the engine used on Linux for truetype fonts. I suspect you'd be able to use that to do what you want. It's not the easiest thing to use in the world, and most people just use it as part of XWindows, but it should do your job.

--
Alex Pavloff - remove BLAH to email
Software Engineer, ESA Technology

Something else you might want to look at is the 'efix' program it's used as part of the 'efax' program to convert text into fax bitmaps.

It might not do exactly what you want by itself, but it's very small and open source :)

regards,

Damion de Soto - Software Engineer  email:     damion@snapgear.com
SnapGear ---                           ph:         +61 7 3435 2809
  | Custom Embedded Solutions          fax:         +61 7 3891 3630
  | and Security Appliances            web: http://www.snapgear.com~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  ---  Free Embedded Linux Distro at   http://www.snapgear.org  ---
Reply to
Damion de Soto

in

Ah yes, that's what I found yesterday aswell (when reading some infos on svgalib). Does anyone have any examples how to use Freetype to generate a bitmap (using a ttf font) of some type? (or maybe point me to some sources)

Thanks again for the info,

Bonny

Reply to
Bonny Gijzen

For example the SDL_ttf library has code for this.

clemens

Reply to
Clemens Kirchgatterer