Trouble while running linux on custom PPC405GP board

Hello All ! I'm new in embedded linux and trying to run linux (2.4.22) on PowerPC (405GP). It boots nice, but when it tries to execute /sbin/init it hangs. Last console messages are: ....... VFS: Mounted root (nfs filesystem). Freeing unused kernel memory: 56k init 4k prep

I've tried to replace /sbin/init by my own executable - it's definitely have not been executed. I've traced it to the "last point" in kernel-mode (instruction "rfi" in file arch/ppc/kernel/entry.S:389). Everything OK before this point. But after this step kernel just hangs. After this sysrq-t prints that process init are running at c0007190 (this is in the arch_kernel_thread). sysrq-p doesn't print any registers, just the line "SysRq : Show Regs".

Could someone give me any tips how to handle this trouble?

Reply to
Andry_x

Is the NFS file system OK? Up to this point you have been running from the kernel image. But your init executable is probably on the NFS remote filesystem.

/RogerL

PS ELDK is a distribution for embedded systems (PowerPC, ARM, ...)

DS

Reply to
Roger Larsson

Hi,

NFS Filesystem is OK. File "/sbin/init" successfully loads in memory (I've checked this by examining contents of the memory). Problem occurs a bit later

- when kernel tries to switch to user-mode.

Reply to
Andry_x

Are you trying to mount the root using nfs?

Shahar

Reply to
Shahar Hadas

I ran into a similar problem once when I had a bad glibc. I had compiled the kernel for 386, but the glibc still had 686 instructions that hung on old uP architectures.

Reply to
Dell