To develop a set-top-box-like device for online movie playing

I am planning to develop a set-top-box-like device for online movie playing. The system has these features:

  1. High quality movie play back on big screen TV
  2. fast internet data transferring speed
  3. fast switch on/off
  4. very easy-to-operate remote control
  5. a user friendly interface for browsing and choosing online movies
  6. use embedded computer as hardware platform
  7. use embedded linux for OS
  8. support multi-language

I am looking for enthusiastic developers to join this project. Suggestion and ideas are also welcome.

Reply to
panyq

I remember reading Linus Torvold's original posting for Linux long long ago and thinking "yea, you and what army?" since GNU's HURD, CMU's MACH, Japan's TRON and other open Operating Systems went nowhere. But I clearly missed the boat on Linux!

I wish you good luck knowing that many talented people have tried and failed

1) AT&T's Inferno system was intended for such things: see
2) Dr. Alexia Massalin was working on a next generation cable box at
since October 1992, 3) Telocity's DSL modems were PowerPC based boxes that were intended to allow remote upgrades for new classes of services. The R&D never got that far. 4) There are already multimedia Live Linux CDs that allow old/spare PCs do a lot of that.

Learn from their experiences!

Reply to
Jeff Jonas

Thanks for your suggestions, Jeff. But my idea is different from yours.

It is not just a 'cut-down' computer with some multimedia software.

Most important things with this box are

  1. easy to use. As long as one can use a TV, he can use this box to watch online movie. switch on, a few clicks to choose a movie and watch, that is it.

  1. cheap. I expect it should be 0-0.

Technically, there is nothing new, but to intergrate all the technologies and make a pratical and affordable product is different.

Reply to
panyq

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 22:47:06 +0100, panyq rearranged some electrons to say:

I think someone has beat you to it already:

I don't have any type of DVR, but Tivo claims now that it can download movies.

Reply to
david

more than a claim: I've watched 2 movies that were downloaded to my Tivo from Amazon Unbox in just the last week. BTW: Tivo runs on Linux.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

How long does it take to download a movie with TiVo? How about the quality of the movie from Amazon Unbox?

panyq

"Bob" ?ÈëÏû?ÐÂÎÅ: snipped-for-privacy@mid.>> On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 22:47:06 +0100, panyq rearranged some electrons to

Reply to
panyq