Time to abandon large mechanical hard drives?

Exactly. To be honest, *ONLY* the best open-source software runs on other platforms and that is usually because there is a strong demand for it. A certain Windows user has been exposed to something really great in GNU/Linux and then makes an effort to bring it into his operating system of choice. In GNU/Linux's ecosystem, every distribution makes it very easy to get a hold of ANY software produced for the operating system whether it is good or ridiculously awful. The result is that the ecosystem is overwhelmed by absolute shit and you often have to go through 7 or 8 really terrible programs before you find a half-decent one that actually does what you want.

--
Silver Slimer
OpenMedia Supporter

I still maintain that chrisv is a reverse troll whose purpose is to make Linux users/advocates look bad. Why? Because he is so good at it.

--
flatfish+++

Linux: The Operating System That Put The City Of Munich Out Of
Business.
Before Switching To Linux Read This:
http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html
Reply to
flatfish+++

I wholeheartedly agree with this assessment and am happy to know that chrisv is the most effective Wintroll in this newsgroup.

--
Silver Slimer
OpenMedia Supporter

And that's the problem with Linux distributions. Couple it with programs that have idiotic names and you end up spending a lot of time researching things.

--
flatfish+++

Linux: The Operating System That Put The City Of Munich Out Of
Business.
Before Switching To Linux Read This:
http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html
Reply to
flatfish+++

I wonder how people were supposed to know that Asunder was the name of a CD-ripping program. Meanwhile, it's the very best GNU/Linux has to offer. The developers seem to be big fans of keeping things cryptic.

--
Silver Slimer
OpenMedia Supporter

Speaking for myself it's because of "Don't feed the troll.". He's not even a particularly entertaining troll.

(Although I'd hesitate to describe myself as a 'Linux advocate'. I use it on my primary system, but if Windows or OS X or ... makes you happy I'm not going to try to change your mind.)

Kristof

Reply to
Kristof Provost

What a LYING fsckwit!!

Why don't you try it first before resorting to lying like a fsckwit and mouthing off from an armchair?

Reply to
7

He's correct, actually. You're the one who's lying in calling him a liar.

--
Sir Slimer
OpenMedia Supporter

Typical COLA: real topic dead so the topic becomes screaming accusations.

--
* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu:
* Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs?

I think it's the GNUslims' new strategy: boring us to tears with repetition so that we go away and allow them to live in their fictional existence where GNU/Linux matters.

--
Sir Slimer
OpenMedia Supporter

Correct... except for the idea this is a "new strategy." They have done this for years.

--
* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu:
* Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs?
* Mint KDE working with folders:
* Mint KDE creating files:
* Mint KDE help:
* Mint KDE general navigation:
* Mavericks / Pages 5.1:
* OS / Word Processor Comparison:
Reply to
Snit

I guess they're doing to us what they do to the whole female gender.

--
Sir Slimer
OpenMedia Supporter

Microshaft & Appile funded trolls are tooo stuupid to know anything about technology these days ;)

Please, lets all give up using microshaft and appile products because those crocporations are too stupid and lets all stick to Linux from now on :)

Reply to
7

High price is onne thing, but don't SSDs also have a significantly shorter lifespan (I mean the number of re-write cycles before degradation starts) compared to HDDs? Or am I stuck in the past and this problem has already been resolved?

--
Best regards! Alexander.
https://www.linuxcounter.net/user/495771

Many (most?) Solid State Drives DO NOT RETAIN DATA FOREVER! NOT for offline backups!

Reply to
Jeff Jonas

If you write /vast/ amounts of data (we are talking PB for a modern SSD

- re-writing the entire disk a few thousand times) then store it at high temperature, then you might get problems with retention after as little as a year.

But if you write more sane amounts of data, and store the archived SSD at sensible temperatures (like room temperature), it will retain all its data for a good many years.

For comparison, a worn mechanical disk always has the risk of simply failing mechanically if it has been left unused and unpowered for years.

In either case, multiple copies of your archive data are advisable. But SSD's are not worse than HD's for the purpose - they are just different.

Reply to
David Brown

That only applies to old, small or very low-end SSD's. If you have a mid-range consumer SSD with 200GB+ of size, there is no realistic workload that could ever come close to wearing it out.

Reply to
David Brown

Well I have a box controlling the heating in our Church. Its SSD is actually a USB stick (about 10 years old now), but the stuff on it changes rarely (e.g. when I upgrade the software) and I carefully chose a web server (Appweb) that deliberately keeps its state information in RAM. So I hope the box will continue to run for many years (though things might break for other reasons in Jan. 2038).

BUT there are a few kilobytes of data that are changing all the time (e.g. a record of temperature changes over the last month, and the schedule of upcoming heating requirements). I did not want to trust Flash memory for that, so I installed a 128 kB EEPROM (which claimed it could be overwritten a million times before wearing out).

Was this a good move? Recently, I observed a lot of random read failures (which usually corrected themselves when you re-read the same address). Now it may be due to the hot weather (the room housing the box has regularly been at 30 degrees Celcius over this last month - maybe it will be OK when the weather gets cooler).

Should I be worried? Data is written to it a byte at a time, whenever the temperature in one of the 4 zones changes by 0.1 degree. It is not clear whether, behind the scenes, it overwrites a full 12b-byte block when you try to overwrite a single byte.

What alternative options do I have?

--
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At my New Home, still doing my own