Systems to run small modified Linux versions

Hi,

I am looking for boards or systems that I can purchase for less than $100.00, that'll allow me to load OS firmwares such as the uCLinux. I am trying to get started on smaller devices than PCs and I am primarily a programmer. I have read a few messages where it seems that the market is using lots of their new devices with modified embedded linux systems, which are capable of being expanded to have more functionality (Linksys NSLU2, Cisco, Cable boxes, phones...)

I really would like to start by getting my own board (cheap and with many quick start guides if possible), to which I could burn numerous different firmwares of Linux types.

Once again, I appologize for my ignorance in this field and I hope the question is not too vague or vast. Since it is a modified linux that is built into these devices, my assumption is that these devices can be extended with new software modules, and at times with newly attached devices.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you kindly. (I posted under comp.arch.embedded, but I think the group involved a much lower level than what I am looking for)

Jim.

Reply to
shija03

Hello,

I just wanted to once more thank you all, and let you know that I have found a way to go about embedded computing.

I was primarily lookin for a system where I could experience the world of embedded computing. skyeye is an emulation of various ARM architectures (ARM7TDMI, ARM720T,StrongARM, XScale).

By the way has anybody have any experience with this emulator?

Once again,

Thank you.

I would still rather have a low cost development system rather than the emulator - so any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
shija03