start process & disconnect without nohup

I'm using MontaVista Linux on an embedded processor. When I telnet in, then run a process, then quit, it kills the process.

How can I keep the process running after I log out? Note, I don't have "nohup" OR "screen".

Alternatively, what commands can I use to reboot the box (which effectively restarts the process)?

Reply to
anvilsoup

maybe you can do (in bash): $ myproc & $ disown %% $ exit

'reboot' + start-stop script in /etc/rcX.d or in /etc/rc.local or montavista equivalent?

if I'm not missing something all your questions are pretty well covered in linux boot process description and bash reference manual, so maybe that's the good starting point.

regards, Mario

Reply to
Mile Blenton

Kewl. Didn't know about the the "disown" command. Sounds pretty harsh if you're a disowned child prcess hey.

All I have is "busybox", with "ash" as the shell. So I don't have "disown". "reboot" causes the device to shutdown and not wake up again. I checked "rc6.d" and there's a "reboot -d -f -i" command in it, but the device shuts down and doesn't reboot. Must be some hardware "feature".

But it's all good. I found that "init -q" seems to warm start the system which is good enough for me. So Problem Solved.

Reply to
anvilsoup