source code or configuration settings (.ELF and .BIN)

Hi,

.ELF to .BIN conversion is working for one set of source code , but it is not working with another set of code .

I do the following for converting the .ELF to .BIN : "m68k-elf-objcopy -O binary clock.elf clock.bin".

Does source code have any role in affecting the generation of .ELF to .BIN ? OR Does configuration settings of the compiler that generates the .ELF file has influence ?

I find that the configuration settings of both the set of source codes are the same, but the ".ELF to .BIN" is happening for one set of source code's .ELF file , but it is not happening for the other set of source code files. Really strange ???

Does the source code play a role in causing problem for converting the .ELF to .BIN file ?

I am using Codewarrior for compilation and generation of .ELF file. I use m68k-elf-objcopy (cygwin tool) for conversion of .ELF to .BIN file for fusing the .BIN in flash memory.

Tonnes of Thx in advans, Karthik Balaguru

Reply to
KBG

  1. If you HAVE to post the question into several newsgroups, please cross-post (all newsgroups mentioned in the same post) instead of posting separate messages (called multi-posting).
  2. Where do the sections in the file start? You may need section selectors and start offset selections for the copy if the code section does not start at absolute zero. The conversion is attempting to fill the unused address space from zero with a filler till the proper address is reached and the resulting binary file will be HUGE. The same consideration applies of course to the constant data and volatile data intialization sections of the ELF file.

The proper tool to direct the sections to correct locations is the linker script to ld used when building the ELF file.

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi