Segmentaion fault during kernel compile

I met a message like that during kernel compile

"/opt/usr/bin/ppc_82xx-ld -T arch/ppc/vmlinux.lds -Ttext 0xc0000000

-Bstatic arch/ppc/kernel/head.o arch/ppc/kernel/idle_6xx.o init/main.o init/version.o \ --start-group \ arch/ppc/kernel/kernel.o arch/ppc/platforms/platform.o arch/ppc/mm/mm.o arch/ppc/lib/lib.o kernel/kernel.o mm/mm.o fs/fs.o ipc/ipc.o \ drivers/char/char.o drivers/block/block.o drivers/misc/misc.o drivers/net/net.o drivers/media/media.o drivers/pci/driver.o drivers/mtd/mtdlink.o drivers/macintosh/macintosh.o drivers/video/video.o \ net/network.o \ /RAID/sunset/EV_64460/SecuiOS-EV64460/lib/lib.a \ secui_utils/nvram/nxg_nvram.o \ --end-group \ -o vmlinux make: *** [vmlinux] Segmentation fault make: *** Deleting file `vmlinux' " As I know Segmentation fault occurs in user level compile!! But I have no idea about what made such segmentation fault during kernel compile.

Reply to
JoohyeonPark

Additional Question: More precisely , I met above message during kernel ld as you see. And this message often occurred when I modified kernel source codes. Nevertheless I don't have any idea about which code modification made this messge!!

Reply to
JoohyeonPark

Reply to
Rusty Wright

Is it repeatable? Does it crash on the same file every time? If so, it's a gcc bug.

If it happens randomly, it's almost certainly a hardware problem: bad RAM, bad hard drive, overheating CPU, bad motherboard.

Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I'm receiving a coded
                                  at               message from EUBIE BLAKE!!
                               visi.com
Reply to
Grant Edwards

Huh? It's ld that's segfaulting.

No.

[...]

If it always happens at that point, it probably a bug in the linker. Check the gnu binutils mailing list.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  These PRESERVES
                                  at               should be FORCE-FED to

No, it's during a kernel link.

I should have looked more closely, it's not gcc, it's ld.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  .. I wonder if I
                                  at               ought to tell them about my

One thing which immediately caught my eye was the linking in of:

/RAID/sunset/EV_64460/SecuiOS-EV64460/lib/lib.a

I am not sure where this comes from, but it seems like this is something which you added or came from a third party(since it has an absolute path).

If I was to venture a guess, I would say that there is something wrong with this library which is causing problems.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Gales

is it cross compiler ? (if it cross you can try and compile it in native compiler)

arch/ppc/vmlinux.lds - this is the linker script you can look at it and see more details on the linkage

Reply to
amir knippel