RT-Java under linux good for embedded development?

Hello, I want do develop a little robot on a little board, preferably PXA255 but can be another low-power consuming one. Does anyone here have experience with RT-java and the jamaica plugin for eclipse to do this? Would it be faster than developing with GNU, C crosscompiling? Thank you Micha

Reply to
M.Kmann

C is an excellent choice for embedded linux so I wonder what your reasons are for considering Java? I haven't used RT version of Java. Is RT-Java not resource hungry? What about the part of your application that manipulates the hardware? Can you do this through RT-Java? With the standard JRE, you can't - you need to overcome this, either by using JNI or by using io interface on a filesystem node (e.g device driver).

I would say writing a large program in Java is far quicker than if you were writing it in C. If your program is large then you could get some time savings. But if like a lot of embedded software it is relatively small, then the speed advantages of writing java code I think becomes a moot point, and you're better off considering the distinct advantages C has over java, i.e. lightweight and fast execution.

I would be inclined to use C, but maybe someone could enlighten us about the merits of RT-Java ;-)

Regards,

Paul.

--
Remove _rem_ before replying by email.
Reply to

is interesting in that it mentions productivity doubling on a 60 person team.

--
Remove _rem_ before replying by email.
Reply to
Paul Taylor

Reply to
M.Kmann

If you do use C, you might want to consider breaking the user interface "front end" from the hardware control "back end" with a protocol between them. Such a division lets you keep the back end simple and lets you easily build lots of front ends to meet particular needs.

The Run-Time-Access library might be a good choice if you do decide to devide the front end from the back end. RTA is at

and is under the LGPL.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

hy bob!

thanks for your proposal, it is now on my list of "usable things to be considered sometime".

Since I am an old FORTH enthusiast, I like to "keep it simple". That means, I like small, fast, well designed interfaces between small bits of code. Forth is best designed for this task but since customers like linux, I try to do it in C, Java or whatever.

Regards, micha

Bob Smith wrote:

Reply to
M.Kmann

And you can't find a forth that runs under Linux????

Reply to
Rufus V. Smith

Why, did I say that?? There are quite a few!

Reply to
M.Kmann

What you had said was:

This looks like you are saying you "do it in C, Java, or whatever", because "customers like linux".

I inferred from this that you couldn't use Forth because "customers like linux".

And I thought, "why does linux preclude Forth?"

Rufus

Reply to
Rufus V. Smith

as you know, it does not. its rather like "customers preclude forth". nevertheless, in a real forth environment, linux should be obsolete because of the nice way, forth can handle devices, its built-in "compreter", editor, screen-concept.

did someone run a forth as development system and OS (no underlying OS) on a e.g. amd 3400+ CPU with 512MB ram? must be useless and funny to see bits moving through the cpu like in a time-warp effect :-) one would need kind of PCI drivers, written in forth, hmmm.

micha

Reply to
M.Kmann