removing boot messages

Hi, This might sound funny, but how to remove the start up messages during the boot up including the kernel loading, init scripts and the module initialisation tests. A screen shielding the messages would also be great like windows XP. I am developing my own distro for a Set top box application, so it might not be desirable to show the linux booting process on a Television. Please suggest me some ways or resources. I am short on keywords to search for this problem. thanks, Ravi.

PS I have seen the previous thread, I have a stronger reason and since sometime has passed I thought there might actually be a solution now. Also the modifying the init scripts was not a great idea, something like kernel patch is what I am looking at.. thanks.

Reply to
Ravi

Hi Ravi, you might insert this line into your lilo.conf (if you use lilo): append="console=/dev/null" This suppresses at least the kernel messages.

To suppress the script output you may edit the scripts and add

behind program calls.

Juergen

Reply to
Jürgen Querengässer

Is something like Fedora Core what you're after? It isn't complete, but by suppressing the Kernal Startup messages (it does this already), and tweaking the console, along with having the XServer start during initialisation like Fedora Core will give you want you want.

BR, jason.

Reply to
Jason Curl

Hi Ravi,

There are many ways to do it. But in your case you can use Silent mode in Lilo to hide lots of boot msgs. Also have a look on the project

You can show any splash screen during boot from lilo.

Thx Rushi

Reply to
Rushi