regarding the device drivers

I have some basic questions plz help me out in those.

We have all the dirvers in /usr/src/linux/drivers isn't it ?

What work do we do in driver deveoplment?

We have user and kernel level drivers ,what is the difference between them?

Are data specifications required for writing a driver in linux ?If yes how /if no why?

Where do you specify registers values and all related information of specifications in the development of the drivers?

Kindly help me out in these so that I will proceed futher

Reply to
siva

The most are in the drivers/ subtree, yes.

Adapt every specific hardware to existing frameworks in the kernel, to handle all hardware in a generic manner from user's sight (also called abstraction).

Kernel drivers are talking to the hardware and catch interrupts from it. User level drivers (mostly) talking to the kernel level driver to do some specific action on the hardware. There are many exceptions around. One is the X-Server. It talks to the kernel driver to gain access to the hardware and after it gains this access do all the action directly on the hardware.

You need some knowledge about your hardware. And some knowledge how to work with the various frameworks in the kernel.

?

JB

Reply to
Juergen Beisert