Re: Linux on Nokia

Hello,

I'm looking for a embedded linux, running on nokias 7650, too. I'd hack the kernel by my own, but I don't know how to get it on the

7650's "harddrive". So, does anybody knwo how to do that, or knows some ressources or links?

Thanks, Stephan

Reply to
Stephan Breitrainer

But, what is the OS and processor currently present in 7650 + memory capacity? I think, those details could enable me to give u a full in-depth idea regarding linux on Nokia.

karthik bala guru

Reply to
karthik bala guru

has a porting guide for Linux on different devices. Though it is targeted at PDAs parts should apply for the Nokia, too. You will find that the first steps are the hardest without deeper specs from the manufacturer.

You might want to have a look at OpenEmbedded if you are looking for a decent build system for the basic distribution, tools and GUI.

Oliver

Reply to
Oliver Fels

Hello, I've found this infos:

4 MB shared memory ARM9 CPU, 104 MHz SymbianOS

Stephan

Reply to
Stephan Breitrainer

Not that much for the basic system plus GUI- at least not for installing additional software data like addressbook etc.

Is this the memory also used for the operating system ? Or is it in a different section ? Is it FlashRAM ?

Sufficient...

Interesting- gives an additional challenge in bringing the basic sysytem on the device. All attempts I know about start with Windows Mobile on it.

Oliver

Reply to
Oliver Fels

Hi The Nokia 7650 has...

15,7 MB ROM 4 MB User Memory 8 MB (SD-Ram) source:
(german) sry for bad english
Reply to
stichprobe-fan

By ROM- is a real ROM meant here or is it a Flash"ROM" ? A standard ROM is a knockout for port attempts as you'd need to burn an EPROM with the basic operating sytem.

Not much.

Again not that much taking in account that the /tmp and /var file systems are usually mount as ram disks to prevent frequent write access on the flash.

And yes, one would need to implement a phoning software which supports the device specifica. In the end the usability would be less than before and porting Qtopia Phone Edition does cost efforts and money.

Oliver

Reply to
Oliver Fels