python

What do you guys think about embbedding the python language in a small appliance, is that feasible?

It needs about 20 MB on my debian system, what do you think should be the flash/ram requirements for such an appliance?

--
Andrea Fino 8-) - "Sistemi su misura di qualita' industriale"
                   "Handcrafted systems with industrial quality"

Oh, an extra 128MB RAM, maybe. Less if you have a swap device.

Have you ever noticed how much ram Python applets take up? The little Red Hat Network icon takes up *64 MB* of RAM.

- Dan

Reply to
Dan Kegel

That's mostly GUI libraries. Python has been embedded on boards with no OS. Google comp.lang.python for "deeply embedded python"

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I'm losing my
                                  at               hair...did it go to
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Grant Edwards

Thanks a lot, Andrea

--
Andrea Fino 8-) - "Sistemi su misura di qualita' industriale"
                   "Handcrafted systems with industrial quality"
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Andrea Fino

Nahh...I've used python on embedded stuff before and memory wasnt a huge concern. Last project we used python 1.5 with a customized debian stable install and total memory on the board was 64MB flash / 64MB RAM with

-- no swap of course.

Of that, I think python occupied about 6 MB, IIRC

There is (was) even a stackless-python floating around...it was designed for CPU's with no MMU -- those would require even less memory.

Also you say it requires 20MB on your debian sys...I'm curious about that...I would bet that if you type 'dpkg -l | grep python' much more than just regular python is installed.

You may get much better results to download the source and compile your own...only including the modules and site-packages that you need. You could even package it up with something like checkinstall to make it a nice .deb file for easy distribution / upkeep.

-Barry

Reply to
Barry S