Processor/board recommendation

Hi guys,

I'm currently working on a robot that should navigate through a maze, and am thinking of using embedded Linux for it.

As the robot should be expansible (it might have other extra functions in the future), I am looking for a rather solid system (I am thinking of about

200 MHz clock speed, but with a modern processor designed for embedded applications such as the Cirrus EP9302 for example, not an old pentium), but need to get started quickly without bothering a lot about hardware & OS details.

I need a processor and a corresponding board that already work with the 2.6 Kernel (even though I might fine tune it a little, I want to get started as soon as possible), and it should be possible to connect them to sensors (maybe through some RS232 or parallel ports), preferably have 1 or 2 USB ports (thinking of connecting it to a webcam or maybe other things in the future). As for memory, I think the best thing would be about 64-128 MB of flash ROM/compact flash.

I know it's hard but I would really love it if there's a way to get a wireless LAN or bluetooth working on them quickly because I might build to robots that communicate together.

As I told you before, I need to start working on my actual program fast so it should be possible to easily download Linux to memory and then be able to telnet to it via LAN.

Finally, it would be great if you can provide a price estimate.

Thanks a lot,

Lester

Reply to
Lester Burnham

Hello everyone,

Since I didn't get any response, I guess I was demanding a lot :) Anyway, I wouldn't mind any board (even without most of the features I requested) as long as it's known to work with Linux and you have a price estimate.

Thanks again

Reply to
Lester Burnham

Have you taken a look at Technologic Systems board. Based on ep9301. $149 qty one. Dev kits available.

Technologic Systems - Home Page

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Look at

. They show many linux compatible boards. There are quite a few based on Intel Xscale PXA255 that could match your requirements. In particular, Arcom's Viper, if you can afford $450 cost.

Regards.

Elder.

Reply to
Elder Costa

Thanks Joe, this board is awesome! I am going to order one soon. I checked Linuxdevices.com again, but unfortunately there are no prices there except for a few boards. The Arcom Viper is a great board but it's waaaaaaaay over my budget.

Thanks again guys!

Reply to
Lester Burnham