Problem in upgrading to 2.6 kernel

Hello everyOne! I'm using this [

] board that was originally shipped with 2.4 version. 'uname -a' gives me following output:

Linux (none) 2.4.18-rmk7-pxa1 #268 .. 7.. 20 10:37:42 CST 2005 armv4l unknown

No i want to upgrade it to 2.6x version, very first i have downloaded and configured the cross platform toll chain as explained here [

]. Then i followed this [
] great HOWTO to compile the kernel. With 2.6.20 everything went smooth and i got a newly compiled zImage right in my arch/arm/boot directory. After loading it to flash my ARM gives me following message at system startup:

XYZ Technology Co.Ltd Copy Right Reserved

IRQ Stack: 33fc149c FIQ Stack: 33fc249c

1 1 DRAM Configuration: Bank #0: 30000000 64 MB 1 NAND:64 MB *** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment

In: serial Out: serial Err: serial Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0 zImage magic = 0x016f2818 NOW, Booting Linux...... Uncompressing Linux...

bad gzip magic numbers

-- System halted ____________________________________________________________________

Sometimes it is "ran out of input data" error message rather "bad gzip magic number". Now IIRC there is no patch for 2.6.x and ARM support is directly available in the mainstream kernel. So where and what i'm missing here? and is there anyway to know what exactly is happening?

Regards, ali

Reply to
Ali

Here they explained how to build a toolchain for ARM with Linux kernel

2.6.10. Why don't you try linux kernel 2.6.10 and apply those patches?

I am not using ARM, but when I built my cross chain for i386 platform, I used patches from the buildroot.

You might try these two suggestions and see how it goes

Reply to
anon

Hi Anon, Thanks for response _but_ IMHO there is no patch (From Russel) for 2.6.1 onward though there are some for 2.6.0 as can be seen here [ ftp://ftp.arm.linux.org.uk/pub/armlinux/source/kernel-patches/v2.6/ ]. I might be wrong so please can you forward the right link?

Snip fro Anon:

patches from the buildroot.

Any web link to tool cahin that you are using? any help will be appreciated.

thanks, ali

Reply to
Ali

Yes, I saw it

patches from the buildroot.

I made a script which automatically build my tool chain, and as I said I used patches from buildroot. Their website is:

This page also helped me lot:

anon

used patches from the buildroot.

lot:

Hey Anon, Thanks for pointers;-) Doh! i'm gettign the same error after efforts of 2 days! Yes the following error: _____________________________ Uncompressing Linux...

bad gzip magic numbers

-- System halted _______________________________

ANy thoughts? Now i'm using

for filesystem and zImage. Their 'menuconfig' utility is really very handy. DO you think i need to use another bootloader ? as i'm using the same old one.

ali

Reply to
Ali

used patches from the buildroot.

lot:

Hello

When I was upgrading my Linux kernel, I made sure all kernel parameters are exactly the same (off course, for new I would decide).

Have you check BIOS parameters? I saw there is this on your board web page: LINUX software identity: BIOS: bootloader Xmodem Update Flash Set Kernel Parameter Set Partation etc.

Besides these two links I provided you, I was very lucky to make my board run in short time.

I do not have more pointers. Maybe someone else?

Reply to
anon

used patches from the buildroot.

lot:

Glad to hear you, i tried to have new bootloader [

] but that didn't work too;-) Anon, can you please elaborate a bit more about BIOS parameters? and where should i set those parameters?

BTW, what is following field meant for in buildroot's "menuconfig":

0) Board Support Options "Very last option from main menu" 0.1) Linux Kernel "First Option of submenu"

I guess it should be blank , right? I'll appreciate if someone can point me to the right settings for "menuconfig" utility according to my board.

thanks, ali

Reply to
Ali

used patches from the buildroot.

lot:

Check the manual for your board how to access BIOS. But if it works for the previous kernel, then those parameters are most likely good.

I don't think it should be blank

Have you tried contacting people who sold you the board about the linux update?

Reply to
anon

I used patches from the buildroot.

lot:

Anon, thanks for fast response.

Then what should be in this field? should i go for "new .config" option or "kernel binary format" ;-) IIMC in those fields i need to provide path string.

Yes i did that but all in vain. They are * and don't even care to reply. And the worse case is that the document and manual shipped with board are all in Chinese;-) ah, damn me don't know even an alphabet about Chinese language. Anyway thanks for your help so far. Maybe someone here might just showup with same problem.

thanks, ali

Reply to
Ali