Preferred Console for Machine to Machine Communication over RS232 Com 1

Hi.

I have a single board computer (SnapGear SE1100.  CPU is Motorola Coldfire

5272.  Will run uClinux once I can talk to it and can build and flash update with a kernel) that I need to talk to from an Intel Pentium Computer with SuSE 9.0 as OS.

I have a healthy looking blinking LNK LED on the SE1100 which says to me that the board is alive.

I have been trying to use kermit to talk to the single board computer over the onboard com port (/dev/ttyS0) of the Intel SuSE computer.  I am not having any luck despite the following:

  • Null Modem Cable is in place
  • Cable is correctly connected to Serial 1 port on the SE1100
  • Correct speed on port.  Single board computer wants to talk at 9600 baud.  Intel SuSE system is correctly set up via kermit SET SPEED.
  • SET FLOW for Intel SuSE system is NONE (as per single board computer requirements)

kermit CONNECT (post disabling look for carrier) gets me nowhere. The terminal session goes nowhere (keyboard entries do not work, escape character does not work) I get no error messages.  My only option is to kill the session by closing the term window.

Is kermit my best choice for this type of communication?

Thanks

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Well, I also lost a fight with kermit before I settled for minicom. The GUI is more like an ascii-UI, no fancy mouse buttons and such. But it works and supports raw read and write. The program should be included in every decent distro :-)

Start it as root with the option -s to get directly to the configuration dialogs. You can also change parameters on the fly if you get into the internal mode with [CTRL-a]-z-o or [ESC]-z-o.

Seyon should do the same job with a mousy interface, but configuration seemed a tad too confusing for me...

Hope that helps, ------

--
Kai-Martin Knaak
kmk@tem-messtechnik.de

or you can go even smaller/simpler, and use 'cu' or 'tip'

-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Damion de Soto - Software Engineer email: snipped-for-privacy@snapgear.com SnapGear - A CyberGuard Company --- ph: +61 7 3435 2809 | Custom Embedded Solutions fax: +61 7 3891 3630 | and Security Appliances web:

--- Free Embedded Linux Distro at
---

Reply to
Damion de Soto