PPC floating point in the kernel?

I am using a PPC 7455 and running Monta Vista Linux 2.6. I have heard that there are issues with using floating point in the kernel. I have hardware floating point support in the PPC 7455. Should I use the hardware floating point or should I use software floating point? Thanks,

Andy

Reply to
heynow567

No.

Longer answer:

Software FP: you need to add FP libraries to the kernel. Usually quite big and "slow"... Compared to integer/fixed point math. Hardware FP: the kernel or you will need to keep track on FP registers all the time, since the kernel tries to be lazy about them - only save/restore when needed and only when in use. - Preemptive kernel? (Monta Vista) then you will need to disable/enable preemptions around the floating point code - see linux/Documentation/preempt-locking.txt "RULE #2: CPU state must be protected." Any FP: Portability?

/RogerL

Reply to
Roger Larsson