PC104 Memorycard?

Hi all,

i'm searching for a pc104-board with battery backed SRAM or something similar. My problem is that a customer is building machines with an linux-powered SBC, which is collecting data over 10 serial lines (another pc104 board) and storing them to a harddisc. So far so good, but the users of these machines cannot be argued to NOT switch off these machines without shutting them down correctly. So we have always data loss, which we want to avoid.

So now we want to put all the data into these battery backed ram and write it in cycles to the harddisc. But we cannot find such a board. Anybody has an idea?

Thanks in advance, Jens

--
Die oben angegebene Adresse ist OK, wird aber nicht gelesen. Wenn direkter
Mailkontakt gewünscht wird, bitte spamtrap gegen jensnixdorf

Googeling for "pc-104" nvram reveals a lot.

first hit is

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell

Michael Schnell schrubte am Montag, 4. Dezember 2006 14:17:

Thanks, Michael, nvram was the word i didnt guess. I was alays looking for sram.

regards, Jens

--
Die oben angegebene Adresse ist OK, wird aber nicht gelesen. Wenn direkter
Mailkontakt gewünscht wird, bitte spamtrap gegen jensnixdorf
austauschen. Danke.
Reply to
Jens Nixdorf

Better yet, contact Technologic Systems (embeddedarm.com) and buy a TS-7300 or 7400. It comes with an SD card slot. They also make a NVRAM PC-104 board. And they make a PC-104 battery backup board; just enough power to shut down the system gracefully.

--Yan

Reply to
CptDondo

CptDondo schrubte am Montag, 4. Dezember 2006 23:17:

Before we used to write the data to a harddisc we wrote them to a compactflash-card. But we became massive problems with data-loss, today we believe the reason was a combination of a bad designed ide-cf-adaptor and the limited writecycles of flash memory. So we dont want to use any type of flash-memory for constant data-collecting, therefore we even dont want to use sd-cards.

The backup board would be an idea, but we will use an "ordinary" APC Back-UPS now, which can backup some peripherals too.

The best idea i think is still the nvram-board.

regards, Jens

--
Die oben angegebene Adresse ist OK, wird aber nicht gelesen. Wenn direkter
Mailkontakt gewünscht wird, bitte spamtrap gegen jensnixdorf
austauschen. Danke.
Reply to
Jens Nixdorf

I think there is an issue with CF cards and powerloss that isn't there with SD cards. ISTR something about the CF card spec not guaranteeing that even a flush() will write the data out and that there is an unknown time delay in writing data. Perhaps someone here knows more?

--Yan

Reply to
CptDondo

Any such flash device that does internal wear leveling and bad block relocation is bound to serious failing if power is lost just after a write request (whenever it is performing internal housekeeping).

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell

Maybe try running sync from a cron job every second or 2?

Make sure to run sync so the write cache is flushed.

--
 Robert Geer & Donna Tomky | 	  ||||      We sure       ||||
    bgeer@xmission.com     | 	==    ==    find it     ==    ==