PC/104 plus or what elase ?

I'm considering a device using Linux as an OS.

It should consist of a custom PCB and a third party CPU PCB. This design was chosen because using a CPU chip directly would force a redesign when the particular chip will not be available any more. So an "industry standard" bus system should be used to interface the custom PCB with the CPU. Unfortunately the I/O performance needed exceeds what ISA bus could offer. So PCI (or whatever) must be chosen.

An obvious choice would be PC/104 plus, but those CPU cards tend to be very expensive.

Another idea is USB 2.x or Firewire. No idea about small CPU cards that offer one of those.

Can anybody offer any additional suggestions ?

Thanks, Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell

How about ETX modules? They're not PC104 sized, but they do put the CPU and all the "hard to design" electronics on a module, leaving you to design or buy the carrier board. It has PCI support, and there are a variety of boards from a variety of manufacturers (Advantech et al).

We're doing this with a new product of ours.

--
Alex Pavloff - remove BLAH to email
Software Engineer, ESA Technology

Maybe mini-itx or nano-itx?

Reply to
Eugene

Maybe?

Reply to
Brian

Is the location of the PCI socket equally defined for different brands ?

We need to connect a board which will be much bigger than the CPU-Board via the PCI socket. Any idea how to do that ?

Thanks, Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell

Is the location of the PCI socket equally defined for different brands ?

We need to connect a board which will be much bigger than the CPU-Board via the PCI socket. Any idea how to do that ?

Thanks, Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell

ETX is a standard.

There are links there to the various mfgs.

Design your own carrier board with the PCI slot in the exact place that you want it. Then you can slot it whatever ETX CPU board you want.

--
Alex Pavloff - remove BLAH to email
Software Engineer, ESA Technology
Reply to