Opie 1.2 released

The Opie Team is proud to announce the next stable release of the Open Palmtop Integrated Environment (Opie), version 1.2.

Version 1.2 builds upon the last stable version (1.0.3, released November

2003), and provides a rich graphical user environment and comprehensive selection of applications. Applications include personal information management (PIM), media players for many different audio and video formats, viewers for images and electronic documents, games and many utilities for file transfer, connectivity with other computers, etc. As with previous versions, Opie continues to provide binary compatibility with applications developed for TrollTech's Qtopia environment.

Opie supports synchronization with other computers using KDE's next generation synchronization framework known as KitchenSync, MultiSync and Qtopia Desktop.

Like most Linux software, Opie is able to run on a wide variety of platforms. Opie has direct hardware support for Hewlett Packard iPAQ, Sharp Zaurus, Yopy and Siemens SIMpad devices. Opie is provided in several Linux distributions including: Familiar, OpenZaurus and OpenSIMpad.

This version will appear in the next version of your favorite distribution, such as OpenZaurus 3.5.3 and Familiar 0.8.2.

For more information, please see:

Oliver

Reply to
Oliver Fels

x86 and arm is "wide variety"? Does it run on mips? Seems like a silly question, but was never answered (google finds those).

Reply to
citizenr

Opie has been brought to run on the Z, the iPAQs, Psion5, Simpad, and several others. This includes certain x86, StrongArm and MIPS devices, though I have lost track about the MIPS status.

In fact almost every device running Linux can be equipped with Opie.

Oliver

Reply to
Oliver Fels

>Opie's minimal hardware requirements are as follows: >x86 or arm processor

Its missleading, today I found this

Hitachi SH3

Is there a forum or a newsgroup dedicated to opie ?

Reply to
citizenr

Yes, we haven't updated this for a while because there is no status feedback from other platforms. We know that it has been running on those and active support from us is available for Zaurus, iPAQs and Simpads.

Yes. See above regarding my statement about status feedback.

No, there is none. We primarily use the mailing lists.

Oliver

Reply to
Oliver Fels