Nice value and thread priority

Hello

I am trying to understand the scheduling in Linux.

From one of the topics in this list

Here it mentions that for the threads with policy SCHED_OTHER have soft priority over the 'nice' range of -20 to +19 (static priority of

100-139) But when I see the process details with "top -b- n 1" command the priorities of the tasks shown are all in 10 to 30 value range and the nice valuesare -20 to 19

Can anybody please explain me the relationship between the nice value and the priority needed for thread scheduling in real time.

Thanx Vinay

Reply to
vinaynk

Hello

I am trying to understand the scheduling in Linux.

Here it mentions that for the threads with policy SCHED_OTHER have soft priority over the 'nice' range of -20 to +19 (static priority of

100-139) But when I see the process details with "top -b- n 1" command the priorities of the tasks shown are all in 10 to 30 value range and the nice valuesare -20 to 19

Can anybody please explain me the relationship between the nice value and the priority needed for thread scheduling in real time.

Thanx Vinay

Reply to
vinaynk

Hello

I am trying to understand the scheduling in Linux.

group/linux.kernel/browse_frm/ thread/c2...

Here it mentions that for the threads with policy SCHED_OTHER have soft priority over the 'nice' range of -20 to +19 (static priority of

100-139) But when I see the process details with "top -b- n 1" command the priorities of the tasks shown are all in 10 to 30 value range and the nice valuesare -20 to 19

Can anybody please explain me the relationship between the nice value and the priority needed for thread scheduling in real time.

Thanx Vinay

Reply to
Vinay N Karanth