(Newbie) Init fails.

Hi

I'm a newbie to the embedded world and could do with a pointer or two. I've configured and compiled my kernel. I'm booting the device from a USB stick via Grub and I've got Grub configured to load the root file system via NFS. I'm pretty sure that the boot process is loading the NFS root system as the kernel spits out the message "VFS: Mounted root (nfs filesystem) readonly" (and shutting down the NFS server gives a different not found message). The kernel then reports "Freeing unused kernel memory: 208k freed" and then tries to run the init process. At this point I get "Kernel panic

- not syncing: Attempted to kill init"

Googling for this, I find many posts that suggest that there should be prior error messages to indicate what the actual cause of the failure was - but in my case there aren't any error messages after the mount of the root NFS. I found one suggestion to create a simple, statically linked "Hello World" program, pass that to the kernel using the init=foo commandline. I did that last week, and got to see the "Hello World" message but in my attempts to make progress even this doesn't work anymore.

Any suggestions as to how to find out what is failing would be welcome. Is there either a kernel config option or a kernel commandline option that would increase the verbosity of the boot process in the hope that the cause of the error would be revealed.

Regards

Reply to
Gilbert