MontaVista Linux

Why MontaVista does not upgrade their Linux support from 2.4 to 2.6 version? I was told that 2.6 is much more powerful than 2.4. Does any customer complain to Mvista?

Reply to
rob

I believe MVL are working on 2.6, but it's a lot of work; they support a stack of different boards.

BTW I'm not at all convinced that 2.6 has been "hardened" enough yet for production purposes. There are reports of performance problems on the most recent release of the kernel source. I'd rather stick with a nice, stable 2.4 kernel until that gets sorted.

Reply to
Geronimo W. Christ Esq

Hi rob,

Afaik Montavista is about to deliver the next Version with kernel 2.6. But consider that they have a lot of work: Port all supported Plattforms and Boards and test them (Customers pay a lot of money for MV-Linux, so they expect working stuff). They have to port Montavista "specials" like RT-Extensions and Montavista-Tools. For some platforms they need to port and integrate patches from the silicon vendors or third party companies. An one important aspect is that in the meantime the customers expect ongoing support for 2.4. I'm not working for Montavista :-), but I understand why they need so long time. And as a customer I must say that I like a stable and working 2.4 kernel even more then an incomplete and buggy 2.6 one.

Best Regards,

Michael

Reply to
Michael Schmid