Looking for a good driver development training example

Hi,

I'm trying to learn how to develop Linux device drivers and I thought that "embedded" could be an interesting choice, knowing that I have an IPAQ 4150 available at home.

"Unfortunately", I guess that all possible drivers are available already (I can't check that at the moment, handhelds.org is down). I have no special hardware, just a plain standard IPAQ 4150 (and two PCs, Intel and AMD based). The perfect case for me would be if I could adapt or port an existing driver.

I also thought of maybe buying some kind of very cheap and very simple robot that I would connect to my serial port and try to control it from my PC.

My final aim is to find a job in that kind of area (Linux kernel development) in 6 months or so.

In the mean time, I have plenty of time and enthusiasm. I'm just lacking the inspiration. My background is in software development although a bit rusty.

I believe in "learning by doing" and am looking for an example as close as possible to real life. Even a real life project would be welcome although I wouldn't be able to give any garantees in terms of completion time.

I welcome any idea.

Cheers,

Alain

Reply to
nilo

I was just throwing in these extra links on another thread.

One of the chapters has a simple example using hardware, perhaps reaching out over the parallel port. It might also be possible to develop a kernel level module w/o special hardware.

- All Bad

Reply to
Mr. All Bad