Looking for a device with 10+bit ADC and GPRS modem

Hi all,

I'm looking for a device (that preferably supports Linux) which has at least:

- 2xinput 10+bit ADC

- 20+ GPIO

- GSM/GPRS modem in it.

- Support for SPI/I2C is a preferable option

- Price below $100-$120 for large quantities

Our client is looking at large quantities (10-100 thousand) so being able to deliver them in a reasonable time is preferable. We would also like to have a working linux 2.6 on it (we don't have much time to port the kernel atm).

Has anyone dealt with such devices? Can you suggest a manufacturer/ model?

Thanks in advance,

Kind Regards, Alexander Popov

Reply to
sasho popov

For many GPRS modems an SDK is provided, but I don't suppose it allows for running Linux.

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell

I²C (master) can easily be done with bit I/O.

A/D converters with I²C interface are available.

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell

Thanks for your reply Michael. I saw a number of SoCs that have these (like Wavecom's Q26XX series) but we don't have time for hardware design. We are looking for a produced device (ready to deploy) that we can just power up, program, integrate and launch on our client sites. There are plenty of arm9 boards that have GPIO and ADCs and we can attach a GPRS modem to them but it's not what we intend to do - the hardware should be a black box to us :)

regards, alex

Reply to
sasho popov

"large quantities (10-100 thousand)" and "don't have time for hardware design" is a huge contradiction. The per-piece-price of the product will be too high it it is due to fail. If you are not experienced in hardware design yourself you should hire an appropriate consultant.

A dream everybody dreams from time to time....

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell

We did twice and they failed twice - which puts at risk our contract with the client. So we decided that even if we need to pay more for the hardware we shall not risk that contract again. So now we are looking for a device that is ready to ship and has all we need.

hope dies last :)

Reply to
sasho popov

I myself did not yer work with a consultant for hardware design, but I do know at least one whom I watched doing several successful projects (in Germany).

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell

can you please share some contact info?

Reply to
sasho popov

please send a private mail to the decoded address given in my newsgroup messages.

I'll send him the address I find in your messages.

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell

Why Linux? Sounds as if this could be solved with a simple 8 or 16 Bit microcontroller e.g. ATmega

Best regards

Stefan

Reply to
Stefan

er

The reason is simple: we already consult 3 different companies with similar needs for the device. Still there are significant differences between their actual needs. A linux based board would allow us to have better options with the software development and will reduce the development time and allow us to modify existing code or even use open source projects when we switch the device's purpose.

Programming low end MCs would mean creating specific implementation with every new project we jump to.

Anyway, for those interested we finally chose the Wavecom's Q26 and Q18 SoCs. We chose to use Wavecom Fastrack Supreme with the IO+USB IESM for the demos (price in EU about 120Euro for single piece). We shall probably use Fastrack for the price insensitive project as well and design specific board based on the Q2686 (35-Euro/100pcs) for the price sensitive one. The numbers there shall probably reach 100+K so we expect the final device's price to drop as low as 70-80Euro a pcs.

Hope this helps to those interested :)

Kind Regards, Sasho Popov

Reply to
sasho popov

How do those run Linux ?

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell

Let us know more about the final device, once you are ready to disclose details.

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell

Ok, i am not so familiar with GPRS modules. What i have seen are simple modules with phyton. I think, lot of products can be realized without any additional processor. Other possibility is to use at-commands to control the GPRS modem from a simple microcontroller.

I think, a solution with a phyton based gprs modem and additional microcontroller would cost less than 50,- Euros per pcs.

Reply to
Stefan

Here, i found a module for about 20,- Euros.

Stefan