List of 6000 Linux C function calls and commands

Whoa! Unbelievable. All documented including which header files to use when calling functions, and the data types of the functions.

Developers can use this to make ANY new computing system or distro.

May be a new banking device, or a TV device, or a gaming device, or a robot gadget, or a Internet of Things product, or a new tablet, or a new smart watch, or a new 3D printer, or a new digital camera, or a new digital telescope, or a new security camera, etc etc etc.

Also documented are all the common commands that may be run from bash console such as ls, date, cp, etc. These functions are easy enough to call from C program to make exceptionally light work of very complex operatons without having to write all that in C.

Many of these commands are immensely useful in fault finding roles.

Reply to
7

Why don't you just read the man pages in an xterm like everybody else?

Reply to
owl

Thanks for that... Bookmarked.

This is *far* easier to read than the man pages, especially if you're not really sure what you are looking for and just want to browse through.

--
W J G
Reply to

"6000 Linux C function calls"

And here I have a 2-ton pile of nuts, bolts and brackets that people can use to build ANY new space station or aircraft carrier.

I like to print all of this out as a hardcopy reference. Usually I'll print all of this twice just in case I lose the first copy.

Reply to
Ezekiel

and/or use 'apropos' of you're not sure of the command's name.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

I'm sure you're joking, but I remember starting to do that once: print out all of the Unix man pages to put in 3-ring binders. I don't remember if I got them all printed or not. That was back when I was using a serial terminal on with V7 on a PDP-11 (no networking, no X11) There weren't nearly as many man pages back then, and opening a new xterm to read a man page wasn't an option, but I quickly learned how to live without hardcopy of man pages.

--
Grant
Reply to

Grant Edwards wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

A friend who did a stint at AT&T many many years ago gave me a big thick comb-bound "book" of man pages, with a permuted index. Unfortunately, at that time I was mostly stuck on DOS.

--
	You will remember, Watson, how the dreadful business of the
Abernetty family was first brought to my notice by the depth which the

I suppose the modern equivalent would be to use a bash script to periodically feed all the manpages through man2html and write a chunk of PHP to act as a search/selection tool, but I can't think why anybody would do that when man+apropos works so well. Unless, of course, they had some sort of command-line phobia.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Always yearning to become a *nix programmer but never really making it. Right Chris? The story of your life only these days its working as a Windows QA person.

--
flatfish+++

Linux: The Operating System That Put The City Of Munich Out Of
Business.
Before Switching To Linux Read This:
http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html
Reply to
flatfish+++

Of course I'm joking. I actually print out three copies in case I lose both the original and the backup.

I used to really like computer books back in the day. But now with all the reference material available via man pages and out on the web it's been ages since I've bought a computer book. The other problem for books is that things change so rapidly that a book is often out of date by the time it's released.

I never used a PDP-11. My first *nix experience was with Ultrix running on a MicroVAX. It ran DEC-windows so opening up multiple terminals was trivial. I don't remember what the actual resolution was on the Ultrix workstations but the monitors seemed amazing compared to the typical PC monitor.

--
"The only version of SQL where I have heard of the (SQL) injection flaw is
MSSQL. AFAIK, this only runs on Windows."

Ian Hilliard
Msg-ID:
Reply to
Ezekiel

Don't laugh too hard, book-printed versions of the Unix manpages are still available from Prentice-Hall.

--
Lew Pitcher
"In Skills, We Trust"

Those were pretty common back in the day. I had a complete set of those for BSD, a single-volume one for System-V, and another one for MKS tookit (a port of ksh and System V command line tools for Dos).

--
Grant
Reply to

I remember switching from a VT-240 to a MicroVAX workstation. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Back then, there was a _huge_ difference between PC monitors (15" 1024x768 if you were _lucky_) and Sun/Apollo/uVax workstations (usually 19-21" and _much_ higher resolution). If you did mainly coding and documentation, the grayscale monitors for those workstations were _gorgeous_: larger and higher resolution than the color options. I stuck with grayscale on Sun workstations until about 2000 when I switched to Linux. That was definitly a big downgrade in display quality. I don't think I had anything equal to those old Sun grayscale monitors until many years later when I bought a 20" Samsung 206BW 1680x1050 LCD.

--
Grant
Reply to

Back in the 90s I had printed manuals for the software that I used.

These days it's considered a terribly quaint idea, especially among the younger people. Either a softcopy version is available (PDF,HTML) or it's much easier to just search Google.

I used to drag a big collection of paper around with my every where I went but I discontinued that.

--
    I should not be held hostage by your bad taste.                       |||
                                                                         / | \

Hey, Ezekreep. Tell us again how the GPL is hypocritical, as are all FOSS developer and advocates who think it's a good and fair license.

--
'So complete freedom is doesn't actually matter - as long as you think
there are "enough freedoms."'  -  trolling fsckwit "Ezekiel",

You just said it well enough or are you Lying?

Reply to
BurfordTJustice

This was my late 80s experience with Sun Workstations as well.

I never touched the actual hardware of a MicroVAX. Although I did use both Ultrix and VMS.

--
     This is a consumer product.                                      |||
     World domination simply isn't necessary.                        / | \