Linux Kernel for SiS 55x SoC based system

Hi,

I have a set up a linux system with make-from-scratch for a little "semi-embedded" System. Builds and runs fine.

Unfortunately the requirements have shifted under me and the vendor has changed Chips without notice. Now we have about 90 of the boxes that my kernel does not boot on.

The symptom is that it stops right away. Typed from off the screen as I don't know any other way of getting the stuff out of a dead system:

invalid opcode: 0000 [#1] SMP > modules linked in: > > Pid: 0, comm: swapper Not tainted > EIP: 0060: [] EFLAGS: 00000246 CPU: 0 > EIP is at identify_cpu+0x193/0x2bf =2E.. more register dumps > Call Trace: > [] identify_boot_cpu+0xa/0x14 > [] check_bugs+0xa/0xce > [] start_kernel+0x2d1/0x2e3 =2E.. more dumped data > Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill the idle task!

Am I right to assume that the kernel cannot identify my CPU?

Well. Neither could I :-). The vendor finally sent me the output of cat /proc/cpuinfo so they seem to have a linux built for the new chip but are playing hard to get in giving more information like what kernel and the config used to build it.

processor : 0 > vendor_id : SiS SiS SiS > cpu family : 5 > model : 0 > model name : ff/00 > stepping : 5 > cpu MHz : 200.008 > fdiv_bug : no > hlt_bug : no > f00f_bug : no > coma_bug : no > fpu : yes > fpu_exception : yes > cpuid level : 1 > wp : yes > flags : fpu tsc cx8 mmx > bogomips : 398.95

I gather that is a SiS 55x System-on-a-chip.

My kernel is built 2.6.25.4 sources. Architecture is x86/generic, no specific optimizations selected.

Can someone explain to me what exactly is wrong here? Maybe give hints on how to configure the kernel to make it compatible with this new machine?

Ciao, MM

--=20 Marian Aldenh=F6vel, Rosenhain 23, 53123 Bonn

"I ran some quick calculations on it. He's about 80% on the right track. That leaves him only 20% dead when he crashes." Bob C

--=20 Marian Aldenh=F6vel, Rosenhain 23, 53123 Bonn

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did."

Reply to
Marian Aldenhövel

Seems this kernel was built for a "higher" CPU. Something like i686 and now this kernel should run on i586. Take a look into the Kconfig menu, what CPU type is selected in your kernel.

Hope it helps. JB

Reply to
Juergen Beisert

Hi,

now

I built it for 386 and no special optimizations.

Ciao, MM

--=20 Marian Aldenh=F6vel, Rosenhain 23, 53123 Bonn

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did."

Reply to
Marian Aldenhövel

now

.de

What does your .config file look like ?

Reply to
Janaka

Hi,

I have uploaded it to:

Ciao, MM

--=20 Marian Aldenh=F6vel, Rosenhain 23, 53123 Bonn

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did."

Reply to
Marian Aldenhövel

Seems all right. Try to ask this question on LKML.

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen Beisert