Linux-compatible OEM fingerprint reader

On a sunny day (Thu, 04 Dec 2003 02:11:28 GMT) it happened Alex Pavloff wrote in :

Is that why all that space stuff is so expensive ;-)?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

The Targus Defcon Authenticator will work with Linux if you write the driver. The specs for the Entrepad AES4000 (the chip that this uses) is available online. it explains everything. getting info from the chip isn't the problem. It's what to do with it!!!!

No company I contacted will help or release anything for comparing fingerprints. I found a small SDK kit for image identification that a company put out to also compare fingerprints but they haven't contacted me back. You can always use winelib to link into a DLL or windows executable. If you find a windows program or SDK that can accept a fingerprint over the network or whatever than you can write a driver for Linux in a matter of weeks/months!

Problem is not getting the data (companies are being very open, SEARCH!) but as for HOW To perform analysis of fingerprints, nothing! There are some startup projects but none has the ability to do comparison (only refinement). As soon as comparison methods appear in the open it will take off in the UNIX world. The devices are easy but if you can't use the data you have it's worthless, that's the case with biometric devices. once I have my data then what???

Also in case you didn't look type "fingerprint" into sourceforge.net a person has already created a driver for a certain USB fingerprinting device. But again that's as far as it goes for using it.

Also with regards to defeating them, you can't defeat thermal and capacitive chips (like the AES4000 line) with molds. requires heat from human hand (within the right ranges) or, in the second, a substance that has the exact electrolytic properties as human skin. find that in a gelatin mold! CMOS camera sensors can be defeated by this method. Also about the boot thing... that's the reason these companies ask that you reset your boot procedure to hard drive first and put a setup password on laptops. For desktops they do stress that if some one gains access to the interior of the computer all bets are off. they offer suggestions and tools to physically secure the case so you can't open it to jump the password and by controlling the software environment they can try to keep BIOS wipers (password killers) from being loaded to defeat the BIOS password by an authenticated normal user.

-Josh K.

spool

Reply to
Josh K.