klogd and syslogd - how to suppress KERN_DEBUG messages

I am using busybox 1.1.1 and a 2.6 kernel.

Is there a way to prevent klogd and/or syslogd from sending KERN_DEBUG messages to /var/log/messages?

I have tried using the -c option to klogd and writing to /proc/sys/kernel/printk, but neither of these seems to have any effect. Are those just for controlling what gets sent to the console?

The log file is on compact flash, and I don't want to be writing debug messages to it if I can avoid it.

Thanks,

Gregg

Reply to
GB

Hello,

If you can spare a bit of memory, you could create a ramdisk containing only the /var/log/messages file.

Hope this helps, Regards, Sebastian

Reply to
Sebastian

Thanks, but I only want to eliminate the debug messages. I want the non-debug messages to continue to be logged to flash.

Gregg

Reply to
GB

Alter /etc/syslog.conf to stop logging debug messages!

Reply to
Jim Jackson

Unfortunately, the busybox version of syslogd ignores /etc/syslog.conf. I had to disable the logging at the source level.

Thanks,

Gregg

Reply to
GB