kernel compile error and some questions

Dear group,

I'm a student doing an internship. My task is to port linux to a custom made powerpc(405)board. After reading a lot about embedded linux (also this group), i'm really trying to compile the kernel. As root i want to use the initramfs (the board has to be up in 4sec), the bootloader is already in place (u-boot)from the normal (selfmade)OS running the board. I builded a selfmade crossgcc and one from the buildroot project (how can i verify that they really work?).

When compiling the kernel i have some questions:

*Do i have to set the memory map in the .config file? (CONFIG_KERNEL_START...)? *And what does the board option do (walnut, oak, ...) can't seem to find any information what to do with a custom board.

When compiling the kernel i get the following errors (using the buildroot gcc): ... LD init/built-in.o LD .tmp_vmlinux1 drivers/built-in.o: In function `init_one_smi': ipmi_si_intf.c:(.text+0x26de0): undefined reference to `is_new_interface' ipmi_si_intf.c:(.text+0x26f10): undefined reference to `is_new_interface' drivers/built-in.o: In function `wbsd_release_resources': wbsd.c:(.text+0x5fef8): undefined reference to `free_dma' drivers/built-in.o: In function `wbsd_probe': wbsd.c:(.text+0x60480): undefined reference to `request_dma' wbsd.c:(.text+0x60508): undefined reference to `free_dma' make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Fout 1

my command was:

make vmlinux ARCH=ppc CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-linux-

(vmlinux because it is a very stripped version of u-boot that cannot load compressed kernels) Is this a fault in my coonfiguration or in my gcc?

Thanks, Joachim Denil Student Karel de Grote Hogeschool Antwerpen - Belgium

Reply to
Joachim Denil

When leaving out the MMC driver (the board does have an MMC card reader so i guess i'll have to fix that on the long run) and the IPMI driver (don't need it anyway) the compilation went smooth...

Reply to
Joachim Denil