JTAG on embedded platforms

Hello.

I'm not sure but.... there could be 3 different answers..

  1. JTAG is standard and while You think about basic functions like boundary scan, then Yes, any JTAG should work with any board. (sometimes different connector or pinouts & Vcc level).

  1. Partially Yes, while you think about microcontrollers e.g. ARM7 or ARM9, from several manufacturers. basic debugging should work (e.g openocd&gnu tools & Eclipse) but flash programming is manufacturer dependend. And of course different boards must have different flash programming commands. e.g in-chip flash vs external.

  2. No. JTAG is also used for FPGA, AVR, MIPS and many other devices - then You should have a several different JTAG devices.

Hmm, not true. Maybe single hardware would be sufficient but software&drivers different for sure.

I recently bought this:

single device - swith jumper and You have different JTAG.

Maybe manufacturer is going to add more supported targets in future? Try ask. It works perfect for me. (I use that "USB JTAG A1" device for AVR ISP, AVR JTAG, ARM7 JTAG, ARM9 JTAG & FPGA JTAG) - it have 4 different connectors.

So, If You want universal JTAG device, maybe there is already another universal JTAG device even more powerfull? Google is Your friend.

M.K.

Roman Mashak pisze:

Reply to
Mariusz Koniarz

Hello,

I don't quite understand -- is it necessary to have a specific JTAG device for every specific board or it may be generally used on a variety of platforms. As I see, it is standard, so as long as a development board or chip is JTAG-conformant, any JTAG may be used with any platform. Or the other way, it's chip specific and entirely depends on manufacturer?

Thanks in advance for clarifying this.

Best regards, Roman Mashak

Reply to
Roman Mashak