InterJak 300 ELAN based router

I have a Filanet (Uroam or whoever owns them now) InterJak 300 router. It's based on a AMD ELAN processor and has 16 mb Flash ROM, 64 mb RAM, MiniPCI, USB 2.0 and ethernet ports and i know it runs somekind of Linux.

Having no actual use for it, i want to hack into it and make it do other things (brought it for like £2 at a fleamarket). There are 2 two 10 pin headers next to the CPU marked serial 1 & 2. I tried to connect a standard PC 10 PIN DB9 cable and use a null modem cable to my PC with minicom, but got nothing. Are there any kind-of-standard pinouts used by such devices? And what other settings than 9600-8-N-1 and 115200-8-N-1 is worth trying? (i doesn't even get more than a few garbage characters at reset, so i guess the connections is wrong)

If i get to a console, are there any standard flash bootloaders and programmers for ELAN, that will work?

The ELAN is x86 and has PCI, so i guess a vanilla kernel and utils like busybox will do the trick?

--
Lasse Jensen [fafler at g mail dot com]
Linux, the choice of a GNU generation.

Lasse,

Is there an RS232 line driver on the board before the serial header? I would expect if the headers come straight from the CPU, they'll be TTL level, so you'll need to convert them before they'll work with your null modem cable.

I also know for sure that there are at least 2 different 'standard' 2x5 pin header DB9 pinouts from old PC days.

My first step would be to get/borrow a CRO, and find out for sure which pin is TxD.

The current firmware/bootloader may not even have any console output though, so this may prove somewhat difficult.

It really depends on the rest of the hardware platform.

they should work fine.

good luck,

  | Damion de Soto --------------------------------------------------
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Damion de Soto

Theres one linedriver. A LTC1386CS. It has 2 inputs and 2 outputs so to provide 2 serial ports, they would have to use software flowcontrol and only have RX and TX lines, right?

Whats a CRO? Anyway, i have a oscilliscope. It'l do the trick.

I sure hopes thats not the case. But i cant think of any other reason for soldering the linedriver and pinheaders on the board.

Theres not really any other hardware. Just the ELAN SC520-133AC, RAM, ROM, a National DP83815 ethernet controller, a Marvel 88E6052 5 port switch and a NEC D720100 USB 2.0 controller. Everything exept the switch is PCI.

Thanks a lot.

--
Lasse Jensen [fafler at g mail dot com]
Linux, the choice of a GNU generation.
Reply to
Lasse Jensen

Lasse,

I'd expect so.

CRO, Oscilloscope, scope - any of those :)

Well, some of our boards have serial headers but don't have the serial console enabled by default.

You'll still need to know the flash/rom layout. There's a few x86 bioses floating around the net that have been ported to the sc520, but getting all those components working without any hardware knowledge of the board may not be an easy task.

regards,

  | Damion de Soto --------------------------------------------------
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Damion de Soto

It worked. Found TX and trial and errored RX. Now i get kernel output at boot and a console after. Cool!

Please, think of the nerds who's gonna play with your devices after they become obsolete ;-)

The first thing it says is

Bootloader v1.04 AMD Elan SC520

Date/Time: 2001-07-12 12:43:56 CPU Speed: 133 MHz Serial No: 202201B01492 MAC Address: 00-D0-9A-02-9E-D8

Locating kernel (oKERNEL)...done (12566121 bytes)

and then it boots.

Since it uses JFFS2, im sticking with the kernel for now and just fiddle around in userspace. First task will be chroot, so i can mount a USB stick and use it as temporary root.

Everything seems to be stock Linux, exept a module called filathr. Dont know what its for yet.

Thanks a lot for your help!

--
Lasse Jensen [fafler at g mail dot com]
Linux, the choice of a GNU generation.
Reply to
Lasse Jensen

Well, it was fun for a few hours, but now i broke it. Made the bootloader enter diagnostics mode and did various tests, including a flash ROM test, that turned out to be a destructive R/W test.

But theres still hope. Theres a AMDebug connector on the board. Just gotta figure out how it works.