Installing Linux on unknown hardware

Ive got a little project that I could use some advice on...

Ive inherited some custom hardware, that has an onboard Disk-On-Module,

2 usb ports, RAM, CPU, VGA output, ethernet (Realtek chip) and audio out. Some of the chips have a heat-sink on them so I cant tell exactly what on it.

From the person I obtained it from, I know its an x86 compatable cpu

with a 'sigma-design' audio/video co-processor. I have no idea, how big the flash disk is, nor, how much ram on board.

When I power it on, it says Non System Boot Disk, which suggest the DOM is blank and I should be able to install linux on it.

I dont have much experience in building toolchains or kernals, so what would be some suggestions on a (tiny) distro that might work without much modification that could detect some of the basic hardware (usb, ethernet)?

TIA, Ben

Reply to
benn686

If the board is anything close to a PC architecture and supports booting from Ethernet, then set up a bootp server to have the board load a basic kernel and a ramdisk image with a simple root filesystem and a shell, all from the network. You can then investigate what hardware is identified by Linux. Try the information at this link:

Rob

Reply to
Rob Turk