initrd creation

Hi, I'm working with embedded linux 2.4, and up till recently have been building everything on a RH9 linux box (also 2.4). I've just transitioned over to a 2.6 host (but still running with an embedded 2.4). Suddenly my created initrd.img is not loading on my target. I'm guessing there must be some difference between mke2fs on 2.4 host vs 2.6 host, but I really have no clue. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks Ed

Reply to
Ed

Did you notice that the module tools are different for version

2.4 and version 2.6 kernels?

The initial RAM disk is usually used to get modules needed but not compiled into the kernel.

HTH

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

Yep, on the 2.4 host, mke2fs is 1.32 (09-Nov-2002) and on the 2.6 host its 1.35 (28-Feb-2004). I tried using the 1.32 version on the 2.6 kernel and that didn't make any difference. Thanks

Reply to
Ed

Neither should it - the filesystem creation (mke2fs) is here irrelevant.

The module tools are for managing kernel modules, those pieces of code you need the initrd for.

For the migration, you could start at .

HTH

--

Tauno Voipio