html display engine?

I am looking for a way to display html forms with javascript on an embedded box with a framebuffer.

I don't need a browser - this UI will feed the forms to a web server on the same machine, and get the pages locally as well, so I could hack up a pipe between the two if needed. I don't need popups, surfing, cookies, ssl, printing, or any of the other stuff that browsers do.

Does anyone know of something that will work or that we can use a starting point?

--Yan

Reply to
CptDondo

Use a ready-to-run browser if you want to save work. :-)

Not every browser supports popups, scripts, ssl or whatever.

Links supports the framebuffer for output in graphics mode, so you can take a look there. If you really only need your forms, you could take lynx or whatever in some form of text console.

But if you want to write your own code - this is up to you.

Regards

Reply to
Sebastian

The big sticking point is the javascript. The only embeddable, FOSS browser that supports JS and forms we've found is Konqueror, and it is dog-slow on our little platform.

Except that links doesn't do javascript. The Javascript implementation is partial, and the code is a mess. (And I am Czech, so I can even read the comments - but the code is still a mess.)

I'm trying to avoid that. :-)

Reply to
CptDondo

That is of course a problem. Btw: What do you mean by "FOSS"? The only way I see right now would be to find a browser which suits you needs (Konqueror doesn't and any other cannot be found), write your own (horrible job), or switch to something server-sided (like php or something).

Maybe there is an javascript-interpreter which runs as a pipe, then you could feed the scripts through this interpreter and afterwards put it onto the screen (links might be applicable there).

take

I never looked through the sources (cannot program C), so I don't know anything about it. But someone got it running on Tuxbox (Linux on a PPC settop-box) and it worked somehow, so it should work on everything :)

If you can remove the javascript code from your forms (or reduce it to something links understands), you have that opportunity. But if that's not possible, I don't think you can avoid that.

Regards, Sebastian

Reply to
Sebastian

Free and Open Source Software.

--Yan

Reply to
CptDondo

Try here:

elinks supports javascript with a component of mozilla packaged as SpiderMonkey.

TonyB

Fall is my favorite season in Los Angeles, watching the birds change color and fall from the trees. David Letterman (1947 - )

/ __|\\// __|| \ __ __ / snipped-for-privacy@sysdev.org \__ \ \/\__ \||)|/ O_)\/ / \/ System Tools / Utilities |___/ || ___/|_ /\___|\_/ WIntel / Linux Device Drivers

Reply to
Hufnus