How to identify and use filesystem from embedded device's firmware image.

I wonder if anybody might be tell me how, or whether it's likely to be possible to identify and mount the filesystem contained within the following (gzipped) firmware image. The device is a GSM VoIP gateway, which I have just received from the makers in Taiwan. After running for 10 minutes, one is unable to connect to the web configuration interface, and some time later (maybe another 15 minutes) SIP calls do not pass through the device rendering it useless. I am hoping that perhaps I can see something, or modify its firewall rules or something.

The firmware is located at

or alternatively directly from the manufacturer at

I have emailed the manufacturer, and hopefully they will acknowledge the problem and perhaps work on a fix for the firmware, or replace my unit if it is deemed faulty. But as ever, being so far away in Taiwan, it could be the case that I never hear back from them at all.

I'd really appreciate any help that anyone could give. I have g'unzipped the file and tried mounting with -o loop -t cramfs/jffs2/ext2/ext3 etc. but have had no joy.

thanks, Carl

Reply to
Carl Farrington

Hello Carl,

I have looked at the firmware packet and to me it seams to be encryptet or compressed. No readable text when view in a hexeditor which there would be in case of a partition/disk image or executable file. The magic cookie does not give any clue either.

Is there any telnet access, serial port or any other interesting connectors. What processor is it based on and is the software in onboard flash or in a seperate module.

Mogens

Carl Farrington skrev:

Reply to
Winther

Mogens, thanks for your reply. Did you remember to gunzip the file? I was able to see lots of readable text towards the end of the file. Unfortunately there is no telnet access or any kind of logging. There is a set of 12 solder pads on the board in the shape of a pin-header though (JP4 in picture

)

However, I spent a lot of time experimenting again last night, and I think all is working now. The problem only seems to occur if I access the web-console using Firefox (1.5.0.4 on Windows XP). This seems quite bizzare but I wonder if firefox doesn't 'close' the TCP connections or something and this causes some kind of too many connections DoS to the device.

Strange, but I have told the lady at Portech and she has forwarded my message to the R&D dept. For now everything is working fine as long as I don't enter the unit with Firefox.

Thanks for your response anyway. It would be interesting to have a look inside. Telnet to port 23 just gives me the GSM modem's output. I see output like the following, going round and round repeating itself: AT+CSQ

TA-004AT+CLCC : CLI AT+COPS? AT+CLCC AT^SCID AT+CSQ

Reply to
Carl Farrington

Hello Carl,

Yes, I did gunzip it, but I didn't look thorougt it all (Sorry). Sounds nice that you have a workaround to the problem.

Do you know which webserver it is using - e.g. test it by entering a page which does not exists. They might not have implemented custom error pages. If you find out which server they use you could checkout if there is any known errors in it which can help you to gain access to the box.

Also it would be worth the try to make a portscan e.g. with nmap to see if they are listning on any other ports.

Since there is clear text in the image file it seams like a disk image or partition image. If it is a disk image you can not mount it like you already tried. The partition table have to be removed first, and since we don't know the partition type it might be a hard task to ditermen the size of it. A script using dd and removing 1 byte at the time and testing with the mount command could be worth the test.

You could also take a look on the magic cookie in the image file and se it makes any sense to you and google. :-) The 'file' command didn't know the type though.

Mogens

Carl Farrington skrev:

Reply to
Winther