Help: Tips for building a video capture device?

Dear subscribers

I'm trying to help a customer to build a station for documentation using video recording. My customer's business involves inspecting buildings using fibre optics. For this purpose he as constructed a suitcase like station using a DVD-HD recorder found in most retail stores, a flat TV screen etc. However, this station is very heavy and clumsy so I figure that I try and help him to create something more suitable.

My idea is to use one of these ITX-motherboards to build a video capture computer with a simple touch screen interface but I haven't managed to find a motherboard that supports video-in as well as it's able to run Linux. If it's possible I would try to avoid expansion video capture cards since I want to keep the package as small and as cheap as possible, since if this idea works it will be manufactured in a substantial number of units. So if anyone know of a motherboard that meet these requirements, please give me a hint.

This construction is a first draft idea so if any of you hackers out there have some alternative idea how this can be done I'll be glad to hear.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards, Ola Theander

Reply to
Ola Theander

I've done something similar with Linux, ITX but with a video grabber card. There seem to be some LEX boards that might do what you want here:

Ian

Reply to
Ian Braithwaite

If i should do it. I would take a video grabber card that can make mpg output. Then you can select a smaller cpu, because the cpu dont make anything else than control the display and touch. Because of the smaller cpu, you get a longer batteri time. When the output from the grabber is mpg, then you can use all the normal program to show it and make edit ind the output.

--
/ Peter Andersen
/ Skanderborg

maybe a 1u, over the board, riser card?

jim dorey

Hi Ian

Thank you for your answer. The Lex boards seems to be what I need. Do you remember which software you used for your project, i.e. which Linux distro and videograbber software?

Reply to
Ola Theander

"Ola Theander" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net...

using

find

Get a Composite Video input PCCARD and connect to just about any laptop?

is an example but this is probably Windows only....

If your volume really IS substantial, then there are better solutions.

--
Best Regards
Ulf at atmel dot com