HDD Diagnostic Application

Hello to all,

I m a beginner in the Linux platform. Since last two years,i was working on Embedded C,C++ on the keil compiler, on the 89C51RD2. I have also worked on the WinCE 5.0 Platform Builder with EVC++. According to my new project, i would like to write the diagnostic application for the PC type device (32 bit processor) i.e i have to test the functionality of each and every hardware like CPU,HDD,Serial Ports,RAID,etc.The client has given the procedure to carry out each test. As per the requirement the procedure to test HDD should be

# Check HDD

  1. Validates the hard-disk device by writing a pattern onto an unused sector and compares with the expected pattern.

  1. Checks all the sectors (HDD surface test) and report bad sectors.

  2. Retains the original sector contents.

Can anyone please help me to start the application.

Please guide me...

Thanks and Regards, Nutty.

Reply to
Nutty

You are aware that this behaviour is almost entirely meaningless for IDE devices ?

See dd and errorlevel - you can write this in bash script, but its a bit pointless. Once a modern drive flags a bad sector (which it will do when written to) its a bin job, the internal software on the drives remaps bad sectors on the fly so once one shows through its game over.

To test an IDE disk simply write to all sectors within the volume and if you hit an error bin it - true for most newer SCSI drives as well. You can write patterns if you like, it will just take much longer to fail in the same place !

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda

or for the more "patterny" version

# dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/hda

Have you calculated how long all patterns within a sector for a 250GB disk would take ?

Jon

Reply to
Unknown

Thanks a lot Jon!!!

I know it is ime cosuming, but it is one of the requirement of the project :)

Can u tell me how to write the dd command in the C programming?? Actually i have to write the C program or the HDD test without using shell scriping.

Please guide me!!

Thanks & Reagards, Nutty.

Reply to
Nutty