hd sleep mode

Is there anyway to get a hd out of sleep mode after putting it into that without a warm reboot?

We have an embedded system that runs in cold tempertures, when the hard disk gets too cold, we put the hd into sleep and run out of CF, but when the temperture warms up, we want to get the hd back to usage without a reboot. Possible? TIA

Reply to
digitalpro

Hi,

Is there any reason you can't use Standby mode instead of Sleep mode? The disk still spins down, and you wouldn't have the trouble of having to issue a reset to get it back online.

However, I've just re-read the hdparm man page, and it seems to be different to last time I used standby/sleep mode:

-Y Force an IDE drive to immediately enter the lowest power consumption sleep mode, causing it to shut down completely. A hard or soft reset is required before the drive can be accessed again (the Linux IDE driver will automatically handle issuing a reset if/when needed). The current power mode status can be checked using the -C flag.

The part in brackets seems to imply the kernel can issue the reset and get the drive back online. Perhaps this is a new feature you should investigate..

Regards,

Damion de Soto - Software Engineer  email:  damion@cyberguard.com.au
  CyberGuard Corporation ----           ph:           +61 7 3435 2809
  | Custom Embedded Solutions          fax:           +61 7 3891 3630
  | and Security Appliances            web: http://www.cyberguard.com~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  ----  Free Embedded Linux Distro at  http://www.snapgear.org  ----
Reply to
Damion de Soto

is

driver will

power mode

drive

Thanks, However it seems that I cannot put the drive in standby. I tried the

-y option but when checking the status '-C' it stills says 'active/idle'. Also, I don't see a way to take it out of standby even if I could get it into this mode. I have gone a bit further and started to use smarttools to read the drive status. When I see the temperature of the drive going below or above, I will put the drive in sleep mode. When I see the temperature return to a normal working zone, I will reboot the system and start over. Not the best way, but I don't see how to get this drive back into working mode with just using hdparm.

Reply to
digitalpro

: Thanks, : However it seems that I cannot put the drive in standby. I tried the : -y option but when checking the status '-C' it stills says : 'active/idle'.

errr..... depending on your setup there are issues. If ANY of the software/configuration data of your system is on the harddrive, then after you put it in spindown mode, it needs to read the disk and spins it back up!

Maybe all your OS stuff is on the CF. If so I can't see what the problem is.

I've used spindown and putting the drive in standby etc, with hdparm, and the next time you accessed the drive the kernel does the necessary to bring it to life automagically.

see some comments in

: Also, I don't see a way to take it out of standby even if I could get : it into this mode. : I have gone a bit further and started to use smarttools to read the : drive status. When I see the temperature of the drive going below or : above, I will put the drive in sleep mode. When I see the temperature : return to a normal working zone, I will reboot the system and start : over. Not the best way, but I don't see how to get this drive back : into working mode with just using hdparm.

Reply to
J Jackson

OK, that makes sense. I'll try going into init 1 and run my stuff out of CF.

I'm running out of ramdisk, booting out of CF

Thanks

Reply to
digitalpro