Has anyone ported the arm-linux toolchain to the Intel Max OSX?

While I can, and am, running Ubuntu in Parallels on my Intel Mac OSX to do my arm development, I would prefer to use the native BSD. Has anyone done this. Any tips, caveats, pitfalls?

Thanks.

Reply to
twgray

Doesn't gcc already compile under OSX/BSD?

Why would it need to be ported?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Yow! I want my nose
                                  at               in lights!

Sometimes, but it appears that nobody has a repeatable and working recipe for crosscompilers. Crosstools don't work for all versions and have a lot of dependencies that are even difficult to solve with MacPorts/DarwinPorts.

On the other hand, I still use my PowerPC hosted cross-gcc 2.95.3 with Objective-C extension that I happened to create some longer time ago on MacOS X 10.2 or 10.3.

It runs pretty well in Rosetta emulation on Intel Macs with 10.4.

Nikolaus

Reply to
hns

I built it and run it (on rare occasion) fine. You should be able to use these instructions with minor (if any) trivial changes:

regards,

-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | Damion de Soto -------------------------------------------------- | Software Engineer email: Damion snipped-for-privacy@au.securecomputing.com | Secure Computing Corporation web:

| fax: +61 7 3891 3630 ph: +61 7 3435 2809 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ---- Free Embedded Linux Distro at
----

Reply to
Damion de Soto

There is a version of the gumstix buildroot that can be build for Intel OSX with a bit of extra work.

docs -> buildroot Been a while since I tried.

Alex Gibson

I want just add that I have recompiled gcc to run natively on Intel Macs. As expected it is much faster:

-- hns

Reply to
hns

|> Doesn't gcc already compile under OSX/BSD? | | Sometimes, but it appears that nobody has a repeatable and working | recipe for crosscompilers. Crosstools don't work for all versions and | have a lot of dependencies that are even difficult to solve with | MacPorts/DarwinPorts.

Cross compiling is a very messy thing. Most source packages are not aware of cross compiling and that forms a big obstacle. Various parameters need to be acquired to make many packages work, and they do not all come from the same places. Programs run in the configure script to determine parameters of the platform would yield them about the host, not the target, for example. Likewise some programs run in the Makefile might have similar issues.

Here is a project that is working to get around these issues by making "cross" compiling really be native, doing only a minimal amount of actual cross compiling for the kernel and toolchains and a few other things that can do it reasonably well. Then the rest is done in a native way under emulation to build up a full Linux system.

Doing this across kernel classes (e.g. between Linux and BSD) makes for even more complexity.

| Phil Howard KA9WGN (ka9wgn.ham.org)  /  Do not send to the address below |
| first name lower case at ipal.net   /  spamtrap-2007-03-29-1237@ipal.net |
phil-news-nospam