Getting started with UNC20 - without Developer's Kit?

Hi

I found the UNC20 (

) for getting started with ARM7 architecture and uclinux. However the price for a developer's kit, including one module, base board and adapted uclinux, is about three times that of just the module alone. So I wonder if I could begin with just buying a module.

JTAG cable and power supply aren't problematic. Regarding the Ethernet magnetics I'm currently trying to get some samples for another project anyway. But for the software... Most of the links I found regarding uCLinux on ARM7 respond very slow or don't load at all, and I don't know exactly what has to be done to make it run on the UNC20 (utilizing the NetSilicon NS7520 ARM+NET). And I don't know if the flash on the UNC20 is supported by any free JTAG tools (preferably running under Linux).

Maybe you can help me to answer the arising questions:

  1. Does the current uCLinux, hopefully that one with 2.4 kernel, run on the UNC20 with not too many modifications? I see a net driver for the NS7520 in CVS...

  1. Is it possible to program the flash on the UNC20, using only freely available JTAG tools and a simple JTAG cable (e.g. for parallel port), or do I need extra information that only Forth Systeme knows? On the pictures provided on the unc20.net site I cannot see which flash chip they're using.

  2. Is it possible to debug software on the UNC20, utilizing JTAG? I assume that once uCLinux is running and can use Ethernet, a GDB server could be started to debug applications. But the OS and its drivers itself?

Thanks for your comments in advance!

Kolja

Reply to
Kolja Waschk

Have to cancel this question - after I found that Forth Systeme won't sell me a module if I don't have a developer's kit.

Reply to
Kolja Waschk