Frame buffer driver for X server

Please watch you attributions. Your message suggests that Michael Schnell wrote the quoted (now twice quoted) comments rather than myself...

Peter

Reply to
Peter Dickerson

Thanks a lot for sharing this !

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell

Of course this is the way something like this usually is done.

In the project I am up to do there are two issues with that: (1) with http protocol I can't get events from the device to the remote screen. Of course there are several standard solution for that (e.g using java script for polling or creating a socket). And (2) this is going to be a port from a PC program and it would be advantageous to make it look alike the PC version.

The device is a complex information dispatcher communicating with several external devices via serial and TCP/IP ports. Mainly status informations should be (optionally) displayed (on multiple "pages") and user should be enabled to do some configuring.

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell

Michael Schnell wrote in news:esr719$aa6$ snipped-for-privacy@murphy.mediascape.de:

Hi Michael, glad to see you posting here too.

You can deal with issue 1 in html - use the autoreload tag. Every n seconds it can reload the page. If you are CGI generating the page and just polling for an event you can even change the page source to not autoreload once the trigger event happens.

Number 2 you cannot deal with like the original PC program. But if done in pure html (none of that java stuff), it is already ported to all systems with browsers...Macs, Linux, some PDAs etc.

Regards, Steve

Reply to
Steve Calfee

Please contact me privately. (Remove the N.O.S.P.A.M. from my email address.)

I have something very similar sitting right here next to me; communicates using serial (rs232 and 485), GSM modem, ethernet, 2 wire industrial bus, etc, built-in browser, flash for animations, programmable via built-in LCD or remote browser, etc.

Fully customizable via XML config files and php scripts.

--Yan

Reply to
CptDondo

Sounds good. Thanks a lot.

Right now I'm just researching options for the future project. So I'll be glad to get back to you once we are closer to the project start.

Thanks a gain,

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell