Floating point on IBM PPC405 (266MHz)

Hi guys,

Is anyone out there using linux on a board with IBM PPC405 (266MHz) CPU? Are there any serious performance problems with the floating point operations?

Best Regards, Alexander

Reply to
Alexander Popov

Yes. PPC405GPr.

Yes, because the PPC405 has no floating point support.

Hope that helps JB

--
Juergen Beisert        email: jbeisert _AT_ eurodsn _DOT_ de
EuroDesign embedded technologies GmbH  http://www.eurodsn.de

In any case, you should make sure you are using a proper toolchain that does not generate floating point instructions (ie. implies a -fsoft-float). These can be handled by the kernel's math emulation, but this will slow things down even more.

Regards, Marius.

-- Marius Groeger SYSGO Real-Time Solutions GmbH

Software Engineering Embedded and Real-Time Software
mgroeger @ sysgo de Germany

Marius Groeger

We're using the PPC405, too. I never got the kernel's floating point emulation to work, so we're 100% soft-float. I have a toolchain build script at

that handles that right. No idea about performance, though; soft float probably sucks.

- Dan

Reply to
Dan Kegel

Well, compared to kernel emulation it doesn't suck. It would suck to have to trap every time you needed to emulate a FP instruction. :)

If somebody needs good FP performance on 4xx then they could buy (in huge volume) a 405+FPU ASSP/CSSP like one company I've heard of or get the announced 440EP (that has the FPU macro cell).

-Matt

Reply to
Matt Porter
10x Juergen,

I'm asking because I have QNX (6.2.1a) running on this baby and it's extreamly slow with floating point stuff, so I was wondering if anyone could help me check the performance on linux ( I'm trying to convice our client to switch to linux )...

I'm also dissapointed of the integer performance too... On a StrongARM 1110 (

206MHz ) with linux the integer ops are 50% faster and the floating point is 150 TIMES faster!!!

Is anyone willing to run this test on PPC405 with linux (it's very simple. I'll send you the source.)?

Best Regards,

--
Alexander Popov                  ProSyst Bulgaria Inc.
RTOS Leader                      48 Vladajska Str.

send you the

Ok. Send me the code. I need some stress test...