Filesystem for SD cards?

Dear all,

Which file system is best for SDCard? For me recovery after hard shutdown/reboot is most important. Thats why currently I am using Ext3. Which other filesystem on linux can provide such reliability and also count on wear levelling through fewer writes on the card? I think Ext3 writes journalling information quite frequently.

Regards

--Himanshu

Reply to
Himanshu Chauhan

It has been discussed several times in this forum:

With CF/SD-cards recovery from power fail can't be improved by choosing any file system.

The card itself does some housekeeping at unforeseeable times for an unforeseeable duration after a write request. If power is lost during that period, not only /some/ data is lost, but the card can get unaccessible for good and can only be recovered by a low level formatting that often can be done only by the manufacturer.

There is not even _any_ documentation about the power fail behavior of such cards is available from the manufacturers. They are simply not meant for being used in critical applications.

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell