File systems for SD cards

I will be making extensive use of SD cards on a project...

I am wondering if there is a better file system for 256 MB - 2GB SD cards than VFAT....

Thanks,

--Yan

-- o__ ,>/'_ o__ (_)\(_) ,>/'_ o__ Yan Seiner, PE (_)\(_) ,>/'_ o__ Certified Personal Trainer (_)\(_) ,>/'_ o__ Licensed Professional Engineer (_)\(_) ,>/'_ Who says engineers have to be pencil necked geeks? (_)\(_)

Reply to
Captain Dondo

I don't think that there is any limitation what file system to use on an SD-Card. So why not do NTFS .

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell

cards

Thats not the way I see it. SD Cards require the SD File System otherwise they aren't SD cards anymore.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Dickerson

With Linux you can use just about any file system you want. Choose one that's native to Linux -- ext3, reiser, etc..

Reply to
Nietzsche

Right ! No chance to exchange them with other systems.

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell

So long as you don't care about non-linux portability, then any linux-supported fs should do. However, I'd stay away from journalling filesystems (flash memory has a large but limited number of write cycles, and journals add to the # of writes), and look at low-overhead filesystems. My personal choice would likely be the Minix fs (for general portability) or one of the memory filesystems (ramfs?) specifically designed for these sorts of devices.

HTH

--
Lew Pitcher
Reply to

Acutally non-portable is good (security through obscurity is a good thing, no? :-) )

Seriously, I am trying to fix some performance issues - very slow access with multiple processes accessing the SD card - and I am trying to experiment with different file systems for SD to see if they are more suitable for this than vfat. The SD card seems to bog down seriously with different processes accessing it at once....

I'm going to try ext2 but I will give minix fs a try. I tried to use jffs but it doesn't work with SD cards all as they emulate scsi devices, and the kernel doesn't see them as mtd.

Something like jffs for scsi would be good to try...

--Yan

Reply to
CptDondo

access

Just FYI,

I have a Sharp Zaurus (CL-3000 Japanese-only model from importer). It's a linux-based PDA/micro-laptop. I found a HUGE improvement in speed of access when I reformatted my external SD cards to EXT2. I don't do a lot of writing to them, primarily readback of datafiles and .oggs for music. As a rough estimate, I'd say write-speed is 2-3X faster and readback is easily 5-10x faster, especially with multiple processes accessing files on the card.

YMMV,

-S

Reply to
shawn

:-) I have a 3100, bought in Japan last X-mas. Ain't it great? I wish they brought them here.

OK, thanks. I'll give it a try. Any special mounting options?

I figure async,noatime,rw should be enough for me...

--Yan

Reply to
CptDondo

If it is used in a camera, then you had better use the same file system the camera uses (usually vfat). If not, put whatever you want on it, but if you want both linux and windows to use it, better stick with vfat.

Reply to
Unruh

Ask Uncle Bill Gates......

Dave

Reply to
gort

I think minix fs would cause as many problems as it would seem to solve, such as filname limitations and (IIRC) fragmentation vulnerability. I don't know about the utility of ramfs for this, but I've used ext2 on an sd card for years.

--

David L. Johnson

   __o   | Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig... You
 _`\(,_  | soon find out the pig likes it!
Reply to
David L. Johnson