embedded linux on PC for evaluation

Hi, i am embedded developer (vxWorks) and I would like to do some playing at home. I do have some micro controllers (netburner, modtronix) but I do not like the dev environment and both are too small for ucLinux. What I would like to do is run an embedded os on a "standard" pc. Boot it into an embedded OS over Ethernet and be able to load programs over the network. I do not care about any flash, just use a bootloader (like pxe) and go, then have all of the gnu type development tools on the host to do the development. I have googled this and I have found some results that look promising, but most seem to call out a special intel motherboard (D104 or something). I am wondering if there are distors that will work on a fairly modern PC motherboard, does not even need to use the video card, just the CPU/MEMory and ethernet support. I figure for now for I/O I can use the PC parallel port for some basic stuff.

Anyone have any advice ?

I plan to write programs that I can then port to something like the coldfile uC for an actual embedded system (as an aside, anyone know of any DYI coldfire schematics/homebrew. I am thinking of attempting to put one together myself that has the features that I want).

Thanks ! Joe

Reply to
dada